Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Missing Posts

I'm a moron. I say this quite often, mostly because I prove that statement to be accurate. Here's the most recent exhibit of that. Yesterday, I added two new posts here. In the first, I suggested that Michigan State's loss to Illinois all but seals John "Lansing" Smith's fate. He's toast. Yes, he can beat Michigan Saturday and keep those who want him fired at bay, but it's only going to delay the inevitable.

The Illini loss on the heels of the collapse against Notre Dame would have been enough. To add gasoline to the fire by admitting he didn't have the kids ready to play gives the Fire Smith crowd more than just emotion to stake their claim on. Smith's tenure ends when the season does assuming a monumental rebound isn't in the offing.

In post number two, I went all Drew Sharp on the Detroit Tigers. I was plenty annoyed with our baseball club yesterday and said as much. I cranked out a handful of paragraphs detailing the Tigers disgusting weekend play and hit the old "publish" button. Only one thing wrong. I posted both at my college baseball blog. See, it's the latest example of why I'm a moron.

Anyway, today is a new today, and I'm ready for the Tigers vs. Yankees. Yes, I'm plenty sick of the NY hype already. Normally, it doesn't bother me much. It's the media capital of the world. Everything that happens there is inflated from housing costs to lunch to the coverage of their sports teams--good or bad. So, tons o' media? No problem.

Except, right now, I'm thinking the spanking the Tigers took against KC has me a little more sensitive. Look, the Tigers may have indeed choked away the American League Central crown the last five days of the regular season, but this ain't the regular season anymore. However, it should be noted that the Tigers did finish with a rather large number of wins during that regular season. Better than all but three teams in the A.L. They deserve to be in the post-season, with or without that depressing KC series.

I want so much for the Tigers to prove that to a nation ready for Subway Series II (or XXVIXLMK, if we include the Willie, Mickey and Duke era) that the guys from Detroit can play a bit of baseball, as well. A trip to the ALCS would really help take away the sting suffered by Tigertown last week.

Go get 'em, Tigers. (Hopefully, I'm posting at the right place this time.)

No comments: