Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Random Observations

In the hours before the latest snow storm pays a visit, here are some odds and ends I'm thinking about.

First, I'm another Lions fan not thrilled about the potential addition of QB Jeff Garcia. Garcia, who thrived under Steve Mariucci in S.F., is apparently going to be released by Cleveland and Detroit is amongst the would-be suitors. Now, in fairness to Garcia, none of the free agent crop of quarterbacks does anything for me. However, I find Garcia underwhelming. I think he can be a servicable, but unspectacular back-up. For the right price, he's no worse than the other free agent signal callers. Of course, he's no better, either.

The Detroit Tigers released their Spring Training broadcast schedule. I'm somewhat disappointed that more weekday games aren't being carried by SportsRadio 1270, the Tigers' flagship, but it's good to know the boys will be back on the airwaves shortly.

When the NHL and the NHLPA get together again before tomorrow's 1pm deadline, I want them to remember one five letter word. P-O-K-E-R. That's right, poker. When Bob Goodenow and Gary Bettman are sitting around the table trying to prove who is the most arrogant, ignorant leader in pro sports, both men should remember poker. Why? Because both men need to forget the insane notion that hockey is remotely popular. Sorry, fellas, but when televised card games get better ratings than your sport, you aren't in charge of much of anything that anyone cares about.

Also keep in mind, that history is not going to portray either of you in a good light after this debacle. There is also a good chance both of you could end up losing your jobs over this, too. Why haggle over a few crummy million dollars? Cut to the chase, come to an agreement and get out of hockey, gentlemen.

I have to admit that if the NHL can get an agreement, I'm going to be in the group that is offended by a thirty game or less regular season. I heard Barry Melrose tell me on ESPNEWS tonight how exciting a short season like this could be. Barry, if it is such a great idea, why not do that every year? Even better, why not skip the regular season entirely and just play two months of playoffs every year? I'm sorry if I think missing 70% of the regular season and giving someone the Stanley Cup will make them champions with an asterisk.

Speaking of asterisks, here is an interesting suggestion for Barry Bonds.

Why am I just not enjoying college basketball this year? I just cannot stay interested. I use to watch hundreds of games on tv a year, but I just don't find it compelling now. I don't know why, though.

The snow is coming, but some pitchers and catchers reported today. For that, I am thankful.

No comments: