Tuesday, February 22, 2005

That Was A Fast Quarter Century

Twenty-five years ago today, the US Olympic hockey team defeated the Russian team in what many consider one of the great upsets in sports history. It just doesn't seem that long ago. Like such big moments, I do remember where I was when the US won. However, unlike 99% of the population I have absolutely no connection with Al Michaels now famous "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!" call.

By 1980, I was totally engulfed in sports. Because of that, I would try to pick-up games on television from distant broadcast signals. (This was an era pre-cable, boys and girls.) Toledo, Ohio's CBS affiliate was counted on to provide live NBA coverage, especially those late night playoff games. Our southern neighbors' NBC affiliate would kindly send up a signal for NFL coverage "blacked out" in metro Detroit.

When the Olympics of 1980 began, it was apparent that ABC was not going to be my first choice for coverage. The U.S. network was content to tape delay events for evening re-broadcast. (Some things just never change.) I had an option, though.

CTV, a Canadian television network, provided live coverage of many events, including the US-USSR hockey game. So 25 years ago, we turned our television antenna towards Ontario, so we could pick channel 42.

Now, this wasn't an HDTV quality picture. In fact, I'm sure many of today's kids would call the picture radio not television, but it was more than enough to clearly follow the action. Besides, what other option existed?

I got to see the USA beat the Russians live. It was very cool even if the broadcasters, none of whom I can recall, were Canadian. Who better to know all about hockey upsets, anyway? By the time ABC revealed the outcome to U.S. viewers, later than evening, Michaels' now legendary call was anti-climatic for me.

I may not get goose-bumps when Michaels' call is re-broadcast today, like I'm sure many do, but I do share one audio memory with the nation. "USA, USA, USA". It seems like yesterday.

No comments: