Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Time For A New Approach

The Philadelphia Eagles asked Terrell Owens to leave training camp today. Owens, who is looking for a new contract, got into a disagreement with head coach Andy Reid. Owens apparently used some profanity with Reid and that got him the boot.

Rumor has it the dispute arose when Owens refused to participate in a team required autograph session. Owens said he couldn't join the autograph session as he is recovering from a groin injury. That's hysterical. I broke my arm in fourth grade and still had to do my homework. I had to write with my other hand.

Yet, Owens, who even at his current paltry salary will probably make more than almost 99% of the people on Earth, cannot risk aggravating his groin injury by signing some autographs? Now, I'm no doctor, but I have yet to hear of anyone ever injuring his groin, or aggravating a current groin injury, by signing an autograph. Of course, signing the autographs wasn't the issue.

Owens has two problems. First, and most importantly, he's angry at the Eagles for not giving him more money. He will now take whatever action he chooses to display his displeasure. Team mandated autograph session? Not without a new deal in place.

Second, Owens has the attitude far too many of our athletes have. An attitude that says "All I'm here to do is play the game, everything else is optional". Alan Iverson's "Practice?" line is another perfect example of this attitude. This idea that the team should expect nothing other than a gameday performance is a cute idea, if the players were making $30,000 a year.

However, when your employer pays you lottery winning money, is it asking too much to scribble your name and participate in practice? Some intelligent, level headed folks would say yes. I would disagree, but I have a solution. (Yes, that's a first.) It's time for the leagues and owners to have players sign personal services contracts.

If today's athletes want to make millions and millions of dollars, they should have to sign a contract complete with personal service requirements. Things like practice, team meetings and autograph sessions would be a mandatory. Failure to comply is a breach of the contract and the deal is void instantly.

I usually side with the players in most labor-management confrontations. I've never begrudged them the big money, as teams must be making enough to cover their costs, but this time I'm clearly on management's side.

Maybe I'm just plain tired of T.O. Who am I kidding? Of course, I'm tired of T.O. He's a great football player, one who puts out every Sunday, put who just can't seem to find any happiness. More money. New team. Super Bowl appearance. Doesn't matter, T.O. always seems to need something more.

The Eagles should stop the madness and terminate their relationship with Owens. They won't, of course, because T.O. is so darn good. Maybe the Eagles owner should just refuse to sign anymore checks for Owens? He could always claim he has groin injury.

1 comment:

Ian C. said...

I told myself I'd never rip on T.O. again, after he played with a broken leg in the Super Bowl. But my God, this guy is currently the poster child for spoiled, entitled professional athletes. It's not even mildly entertaining anymore. Kudos to the Eagles for taking a stand.

And I love your personal service contract idea. Though I'd find it hard to imagine such language wouldn't already be included in such contracts, it must not be if we see garbage like T.O. is pulling.

This sort of reminds me of actors who refuse to do press and promote movies they're being paid $20 million for. Really? You think you're getting that money for just acting?