Wednesday, August 31, 2005

In Katrina's Wake

Friends, let's be honest. It's easy to feel badly for those stuck in Katrina's path. We can all feel the heartbreak of those who have lost loved ones. It's easy to be overwhelmed at the video coming from the area. It's almost beyond comprehension. It's even easier to head off to work and complain about ridiculously high gas prices while feeling guilty about our fellow citizens who are without homes, jobs, electricity or food. What is difficult is writing a check to help the relief efforts.

Believe me, I'm as guilty as the next guy. I've learned to tune out the pitch for money. Even worthy organizations get lost in the near constant refrain for money. I get cynical about these non-profit CEO's who are living better than Fortune 500 executives. I cringe when I see charities mismanage money. However, Katrina has me pondering that wisdom.

This isn't your usual disaster, if there is such a thing. This was a category five hurricane that swallowed everything in it's way. It may be weeks before people can return to the area their homes once stood. It may be months before electricity is up again. It may be winter before children can return to school. And the economy of the area? Who knows when or even if that will rebound to pre-Katrina levels.

This hurricane has simply destroyed a part of my nation. Our nation, for most of you. Many of these people were poor long before Katrina took what little they had. These fellow Americans need our help. They need my help, but what can I do?

Let's face it, it's not like I can go down and lend a hand. First, I have some responsibility here. Second, I haven't got lots of cash myself and who is going to bankroll this plan? Third, I have limited skills. Typing a lousy sports blog isn't the kind of help these folks need.

So, that leaves me with making a donation to a relief organization. Yeah, I'm a bit leery, but I'm far more afraid for my countrymen in the south. They need to get the water pumped out. They need to have their communities secure. They need food, clothing and shelter. Eventually, they will need to rebuild. Everything. With such a daunting task at hand, the least I can do is send whatever money I can afford.

However, as I have rather limited means, I feel like I should do more. Again, what can I actually do to help? Well, I'm happy to say that some in the blogging community have chosen tomorrow as a cyber-fundraising day. The idea started by Hugh Hewitt has taken flight. All day tomorrow, September 1st, bloggers are going to be writing about Katrina and relief charities they will promote.

The Truth Laid Bear.com has assembled the list of bloggers involved and is maintaining a list of charities, as is Instapundit. As I may not post tomorrow, I've jumped the gun and have added links to some relief organizations in my sidebar tonight. Many are taking donations online right now.

If you don't feel right about donating online or may never get around to putting a check in the mail, there are other options. For my local sports minded visitors, I know that AM1270-The Sports Station in Detroit, is attempting to get people out to Lucky's in Novi tomorrow to collect monetary gifts for the relief effort. The Sports Inferno guys got this going and I tip my cap to them.

I'm confident others in the Metro area are organizing collections and I encourage you to add the names of those organizations or events in the comments section of this post.

The bottom line is that the area needs everything and we have to try and provide those attempting to fill the voids with enough resources to meet the unbelievable demand. This need isn't going to go away tomorrow, or next month or even by the year's end.

If I can get one of you to donate one dollar, I'll have accomplished far more than I would have thought. I sincerely thank anyone who makes a donation of any size.

No comments: