Wednesday, February 08, 2006

It's Martz. Again. (We Think.)

If we are to believe the breaking news, Mike Martz has agreed to become the Detroit Lions offensive coordinator. Again. Of course, the national media boys aren't reporting this as a done deal, but I can't say that I blame them.

Regardless, we know what the deal is with Mr. Martz, don't we? Martz' arrival in Motown is one of high risk versus high reward. Few doubt Martz can develop quarterbacks. Many think Martz is the brightest offensive mind in the league. Much to my surprise, I understand Martz is quite the disciplinarian, as well. All pretty good things.

Conversely, we all realize that Martz brings baggage. He was serious ill most of this past off-season. We know he really covets the title of head coach, not offensive coordinator. Like most supposed geniuses, Martz lets his concepts get in the way of common sense from time to time. Martz' quirkiness (is that a word?) was revealed to all during this on again, off again negotiation process. These are all things that make you wonder why the Lions pursued Martz so hard.

However, I think I'm going to follow the notion provided by new Lions head coach, Rod Marinelli. At his introductory press conference, Marinelli made it clear to all that he prefers action over words. He said that there was often "too much talk" in football. He wanted to be judged by what we see on the field. Well, Coach, I'm on board.

I'm not going to worry about the Lions rookie leader, the new offensive coordinator, their relationship or much else about the make-up of Marinelli's new staff. No, what I am going to do is wait and see. I'm going to heed Marinelli's suggestion and have him prove to me that this new version of the Lions is different. Until I see the film, as the new guy likes to say, I'm reserving judgment. I'll probably stay a bit more stable this way.

No comments: