Saturday, February 11, 2006

You Say Tomato, I Say Torino

The Winter Olympics are only about twenty-four hours in and there's already plenty to comment on. I was going to start with the Opening Ceremonies, but Big Al at The Wayne Fontes Experience has done such a complete job summarizing the event, that I'll just provide you with a link to his post. Apparently, Big Al and I are in desperate need of more culture. Or not.

* One thing I do enjoy about the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics, in particular, is the parade of nations. (Fine, it's the only thing I really enjoy.) I shake my head seeing the athletes from nations that have absolutely zero, or next to zero, shot at snow. Here comes Bermuda's sole athlete out of the tunnel. Kenya? Kenya has a winter Olympic team? Does Kenya have winter? I mean they may call in winter, but that just means it's hot not boiling, right?

You know these folks representing countries that really don't have winter training facilities are living in other nations year round or hold dual citizenship. I find it mildly amusing to see such tropical and desert environments participating in the Winter Olympics.

* Just for the record, I can't stand the International Olympic Committee. I may have stated that on this blog before, but it bears repeating. I can't stand the IOC. They are, without question, the most insidious, duplicitous and corrupt body in sport and, perhaps, on Earth.

* I awake this morning to learn that Michelle Kwan may be forced out of the Games. It's too bad, but I'm left wondering if the U.S. skating officials that gave her an injury exemption made a solid decision? She's been such a force in her sport, I can see why they might give her a pass even if she really wasn't fit. However, when the Olympics only come around once every four years, it might be best to send those fully able to compete. Some will never get another shot at it.

* Then there is good old NBC. And CNBC. And MSNBC. And USA, too. Four networks, still mediocre coverage. Why in the world can the CBC show events live, but NBC gives us tape delay? I'm kind of a television geek, so I can navigate multiple channels rather well, but the problem is with numerous events and four networks in action, where on Earth am I supposed to begin my search? Even when I'm searching, I find events I'm not interested in or no Olympic coverage at all.

With all the cash NBC pays to cover the Games, they should just bite the bullet and give up their regular broadcast schedule and televise the Olympics full-time for two weeks. You can still do a condensed replay model each night, but let's see the games as they happen. Pretend it's as important as your own marketing would have us believe it is.

* As far as my viewing habits are concerned, I do like most of the skiing events. Speed skating is fine, too. Hockey, obviously, is on the watch list. As is curling, bobsledding and luge. Maybe skelton, too. If I can note a pattern, none of the sports decided by judges rank too high on my interest radar.

* On the heels of hosting several successful big time sporting events, some in Detroit may be pondering a Detroit Olympic bid. I love the idea, but can't get my brain to buy the concept. The Olympics simply require too many structures to be built. An Olympic stadium alone would be a fortune and what in the world would we do with it afterwards? Same for any number of other venues required to host either Summer or Winter Games. In spite of the fact I love the idea of a Detroit PSL bobsledding title, I don't find the concept of hosting an Olympics to be a sound one financially.

2 comments:

Big Al said...

I'm guess we're just not the demographic the Olympic committee is trying to reach with the opening ceremony. That demo being sheeple whom are mesmerized by events that are pompous, incoherent, and outright strange...

Ian C. said...

1) I'm kind of conflicted on this Michelle Kwan thing. On one hand, if you're of the "you can't lose your job due to injury" mindset, Kwan's resume probably warranted a spot on the team. On the other, she probably didn't give the US team its best chance at competing.

So Emily Hughes gets named to the team as a replacement, but because Kwan petitioned for a spot, Hughes was deprived of a chance at the full Olympic experience. No opening ceremonies (and all its pompous pageantry) for her. And what if this was her one chance to experience that?

2) I totally agree that NBC should either $#!+ or get off the pot when it comes to Olympic coverage. They're already losing their big-revenue, prime time programming to the games, so why not sacrifice the daytime and late-night programming as well.

Is the potential wrath of housewives and homebodies who might miss "their stories" and talk shows so great that we can't see events in real time?