Thursday, March 23, 2006

Fantasy Baseball And A Request For Advice

I run two fantasy baseball leagues--the Harry Heilmann League and the Gehringer-Greenberg League. This year, I've had some difficulties filling both leagues. Honestly, I'm having some off the blog field issues. My life for the last month or so probably qualifies as a country music song. The hot water tank leaked, the furnace broke, the last wind storm we had pulled a storm door almost complete off my house and, finally, my pick-up truck wouldn't start. Now, if that ain't sounding like country music hit, I don't know what is.

In addition to these messes, my employer sent about 200 people home for good about a month ago, I've been visiting my doctor semi-regularly, I'm apparently attempting to hold up the entire economy on my mediocre salary and I've got the usual assortment of adult responsibilities that are keeping me from important things like blogging and organizing my fantasy baseball leagues.

However, I would like to get both leagues off the ground. (Things are so backwards right now, that even the email I composed to about every blogger I know making this offer disappeared. Thought I had it in my drafts. However, it's nowhere to be found.) Now, as the season begins a week from Monday, time is an issue. I would post the specific details here, however, I want to know that you are truly interested in participating in one of these leagues. So I ask that you please email me if you are interested.

The Heilmann League is pretty straight forward and is a Yahoo! online draft. The G-Men League Draft has always been old school--we get as many participants as we can together in one room to hold the draft. Antiquated notion, I admit, but there's still something unique about a face-to-face draft. That may not be an option this season, but some traditions die hard with me.

In the end, neither league may take flight in 2006, but I had to attempt to get one of them kick started. I thank you for considering it.

Finally, I have a request for help. I received an email asking me if I would be interested in writing a weekly college baseball column. The question I pose to you is "Would that be a good idea?". You are probably thinking, "Why shouldn't you, Brian?". Have you seen my posting around here as of late? Not exactly consistent. It's even worse at my college baseball blog. I missed all of this past week.

Can I really take on two blogs, plus a weekly column? Seems like I might be biting off a bit more than I can chew. Sure, I like the idea, but there are clearly obstacles. And, no, I do not believe compensation is being offered. So, what do I do? Bill? Greg? Ian? Anyone?

6 comments:

Greg Eno said...

If you like to write as much as I do, you'll figure out a way. I, too, run two blogs and write a weekly column, PLUS write and edit for MCS Magazine.

Of course, I'm also clinically insane.

Anonymous said...

Take the column, Brian. You're plenty good enough to pull it off.

Brian said...

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I'm still debating the matter.

If I undertake the additional workload, perhaps, we can look into a group discount on therapy, Greg.

Brian said...

Oh, thanks for the compliment, too, Rob.

billfer said...

Do it my friend. If it's something you like, then it sounds like a great opportunity. Besides, you can always write the column, and then write a post here linking to it. That takes some of the pressure off of keeping fresh content here. It's not cheating, you did the work so leverage it...

Ian C. said...

Brian, I've told you what I thought through e-mail, but it's starting to look like the "yays" have it.

The rest of us are going to get together and discuss what to do if you decide not to do the column. We have crowbars and bats. And I'll warn you right now, my mother has passed Malaysian torture techniques onto me. It's not pretty.