Saturday, April 29, 2006

Lions Draft Recap, 2.0

I just erased about eight paragraphs giving a blow-by-blow recount of my perspective on the Detroit Lions draft. I got into paragragh nine when I realized I was spending far too much time talking about our Lions. We've seen all this Lions silliness before, so why ramble on? Here's my bottom line. The Lions draft, thus far, is mediocre. I expect the "experts" to give them a "C" grade.

My single biggest problem is first round choice Ernie Sims. Why did they take a linebacker with a history of concussions? This wasn't a value pick. It was the ninth pick in the entire draft. You want to shop for value? Please wait until round three. In the first round, especially in the top ten picks, I prefer healthy, productive players. Call me nuts, but I think it's a problem to have a guy with a history of brain trauma playing a position where his job is to run into people--often head-on.

As I stated at the start, I could go on for days. I won't. I will refer you to this fine post at Lionbacker.com. I'm not Matt Leinart crazy, but the overall point isn't lost on me. Trading down was clearly the best option, taking a d-lineman was the second best option, painfully enough, taking one of two uber-QB prospect was the third best option when the Lions were on the clock. Instead, the Lions chose: D) none of the above.

No comments: