Friday, April 21, 2006

There's A New Team In Town

The anti-soccer readers amongst you (that would be most of you, as you've told me) won't be happy, but I'm here to report that Detroit has a new soccer entity. The Detroit Ignition have joined the Major Indoor Soccer League. While we all know I enjoy soccer and follow far too many "B" list (and several "C" and "D" list) sports in America, I've met this announcement with mixed emotions.

I wish the Ignition all kinds of success, and I like their logo, but I don't consider the indoor version of the world's most popular sport actually soccer. Maybe I'm ill-informed about the indoor game. It's usually a pretty good bet that I don't know what I'm talking about. However, it just doesn't strike me that the indoor and outdoor games are remotely similar.

Boards? Boards in soccer? Don't they have penalty boxes, too? In soccer? Penalty boxes in soccer? It just isn't right. And don't even get me started on artificial surfaces. Comparing the two versions of soccer is like comparing Arena Football to the NFL. They just aren't close. They are so diverse that I must admit, I just can't embrace the indoor game (in either sport).

Now, veteran readers here can protest as I love the Canadian Football League. It's not the NFL, either, but I enjoy it for what it is. What's up with that? A solid point. One I can't argue. Maybe I'm just a soccer snob?

No, that can't be it, either. Because if I was a true soccer snob, I'd stick the leagues overseas that play at a much higher level than Major League Soccer. While I do watch the Premiership and other Euro leagues, I enjoy MLS (DC United fan here). As unlikely as it now appears, I would love to see Detroit get a MLS franchise. I'd even debate season tickets, if such an event occurred (and I had the cash). So, if I was a true soccer snob, would I embrace a Detroit MLS team? Probably not. I'd just hope for more EPL matches on television.

This is why I remain conflicted about the Ignition's arrival. I'd like to see Detroit become a bigger player in the pro soccer, but I'm just not crazy about the indoor version. I want to promote soccer on this blog (just as I do college baseball, curling, open wheel racing, etc....), but I'm not sure I'm going to watch the MISL with any regularity even with a Detroit team.

This said, how about we make a deal with our new team? We'll watch. Once. Ok, maybe twice, but only for as long as we can stand it. We aren't going to give up the Tigers, Pistons, Wings, Lions, Wolverines or Spartans to watch, but we'll find a time when we can sit through a game. Then, if we don't find it interesting, we'll politely move on.

If we like it, great. The team will have a new fan or two. I'll take credit for expanding your sports horizons. Maybe one of us can start an Ignition blog. (Stop pointing your finger at me. I'm one over my limit at two, thank you.)

2 comments:

Ian C. said...

Detroit seems to be a good market for indoor soccer, historically. Remember the Detroit Neon and the Detroit Rockers? Did you ever check out any of their games?

If I recall correctly, both teams were rather successful as a cheaper, more family-friendly, sports alternative in the summer.

Sam said...

MLS is fine. But Brian. Indoor soccer league? I didn't even know such a thing existed above, like, the high school level.