It wasn't as bad as I expected. That's probably the most accurate way to describe my feelings after the Detroit Lions 9-6 defeat to Seattle.
Did I hope for more? Well, more offense, yes. No, not vintage Greatest Show on Turf offense, but a touchdown, perhaps. Did I hope for more defense? I don't know about you, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Honolulu Blue D today. They kept Shaun Alexander in check and kept the defending NFC champs out of the end zone. Could I really expect more? No way.
Did I expect a win? No, of course not. But, I think we all have to admit the Lions let one get away here. I don't care who the opponent was, the Lions D gave them a chance to win this game and they missed a great opportunity. At home, to boot.
Here are some other random thoughts on today's Lions game remembering I did not watch every second. (I cut my grass at halftime and went to Wendy's to get my wife a Frosty and I had the Big Bacon Classic--no pickle, no onion--around the middle of the first quarter.)
* I liked that Kevin Jones got into the passing game as much as he did
* Why did Ernie "I've Taken More Blows To The Head Than The Three Stooges" Sims hit Matt Hasselbeck in the noggin with his own cranium? Not only was it stupid for him to hit a sliding QB (and draw a flag), but when you've taken that many shots to the brain yourself, you are endangering your career with such a move.
* I'm not a football genius by any stretch, but didn't Dre Bly helped set up the winning Seattle field goal by playing so far off the Seahawks wideout that the kid had about ten yards of open space to run his route in? For a supposed "shut down corner", Bly gave the Seahawks rookie wide receiver way too much respect. I can't even recall the young man's name, but Bly gives him a cushion that large when field position is so vital at that stage? It makes no sense.
That or the Lions defensive coaches went to a zone and basically handed Seattle about seven-to-ten yards as a gift. Which, as Seattle was looking to get into field goal range, seems equally perplexing. Why is this Pro Bowl corner so far removed from a first year wide receiver with the game on the line?
* I'm still not sold on Jon Kitna as a starting NFL QB.
* You have to love the Lions defensive line play today. If Shaun Rogers played close to that each week he would be a Hall of Fame player. Cory Redding played far better than I expected, as well.
* Black Jerseys? I'd prefer they go away.
* If I'm a Seahawks fan, I really miss Steve Hutchinson. If I'm Shaun Alexander, I miss him more than the fans do.
* Is it just me or did NFL defenses seem to be far ahead of the league's offenses this week?