Thursday, April 14, 2005

Early Baseball Observations

I have the MLB Extra Innings package, so I see a fair amount of our national pastime. So far, these are some of the things I've taken note of.

I like the fact the Dodgers and Cubs have removed names from the back of their jerseys. It's just a more traditional, classic look. I wouldn't want every team to head in that direction, but both N.L. teams pull it off nicely.

Jamie Moyer is 2-0. Moyer is about fifty years old and his fastball is clocked with a sundial. He may be the exception to the rule, but it's nice to see someone display the art of pitching without being able to throw one hundred miles an hour.

I love listening to Vin Scully do the Dodgers games. I like the fact he refers to the teams he covers as "They" or "The Dodgers" as opposed to "Us" and "We".

Did you see Craig Biggio get hit by a Braden Looper pitch Wednesday night? I didn't see it live, but picked up coverage as he was sitting on the ground. When Biggio arose, he had about a golf ball sized lump on his arm. By the time he got to firstbase, it appeared to have doubled in size.

The next shot of him showed the bulge changing color. The end of the knot was now red. Within another minute or two, the area was turning purple. All the while, Biggio was forcing throws from Looper to keep him close. Biggio was diving back to the base each time. Each time hitting the spot again. The Astros lost, but Biggio displayed the toughness not often associated with modern baseball players. He gained even more of my respect.

Don't Biggio and Jeff Bagwell merit Hall of Fame induction?

I saw Adrian Gonzalez of Texas hit his second homerun of the year last night. The rookie appears to have a classic lefthanded swing. It's a thing of beauty. (Of course, someone already picked him up in my AL-only fantasy league. Darn baseball geeks.)

I like the fact Washington, D.C. has a baseball team. I'm not sure what I find appealing about it, but it just seems right. I also like their uniforms and love the old style caps. I may have to get the road version.

I'm not going to see Fever Pitch.

The renovation at Comerica Park looks good on tv. I'll make a final judgment once I get down there in person, but the new bullpens and new rightfield seats fit in perfectly.

I doubt youngsters today can appreciate this, but having television access to as many games as MLB Extra Innings provides would have been a dream come true for me about thirty years ago. It would also have been close to unimaginable. I'm still a bit amazed by the whole thing.

No comments: