Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Lack Of Posts, Lame Excuses and Opening Day

I noticed that I had not posted anything here since late March. That's pretty pathetic. Now, like so many others, I could provide the usual list of lame excuses. I was busy. I had technical problems (actually, that was my other site). I was bored. I lacked creativity. The ever-popular "It's my blog and I'll type when I want to". As always, those excuses are all valid and none sufficient.

So, allow me to pull a Mark McGwire and not talk about the past. Let me start my April blogging with Opening Day. I loved it. For a change, we here in the midwest and most in the Northeast had outstanding weather. Sunny and darn near 70? In April? Perfect.

I prepared some Italian sausage with peppers and onion plus hot dogs for my guests and we settle in for a day of MLB Extra Innings. The Tigers were the main event and the hometown boys lived up to all our expectations. Jeremy Bonderman showed signs of becoming an elite pitcher. Dmitri Young went yard not once. Not twice. But three times. The Tigers rolled over Kansas City.

The Tigers will go as far as their starters take them. The Tigs have a good bullpen and a solid lineup. If their young arms can take the next step, the Tigers could be playing meaningful games in September. I'll guess about 83 wins.

As for the Royals, and the Pirates and Brewers (who were game two of our tv slate), we all felt badly for where these teams now find themselves. They appear without direction. They have fallen and cannot seem to get up. As an example, Tike Redman hit third for the Bucs. Tike Redman!?!?!

The Royals have probably fallen the farthest, now that the Tigers have rebounded some. KC was once amongst the most consistent teams in the Majors. They still are, but only they are now consistently at the bottom and not the top.

At least the Brew Crew appear to have some young players about to emerge (Carlos Lee, Lyle Overbay, Ben Sheets, J.J. Hardy) or about to make the jump to The Show (Rickie Weeks and Price Fielder, son of Cecil).

The Mets blown save on Opening Day must have some begging for Ugeuth Urbina. For now, I hope the Tigers keep him.

A Sunday night sidelight, I don't think either the Yankees or Red Sox will win the American League. I just don't trust their starting pitching. Maybe by August I will. Right now, I have faith in Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. That's it.

We did end up watching part of the A's/O's game, too. Oakland just doesn't impress me offensively. Baltimore could surprise if they get some pitching. Like Detroit, they should be able to hit.

It's was a fine Opening Day all-in-all. Great weather. Good food. The return of baseball. What more could I want?

No comments: