Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Lions Diary: Three More Days

Just a few of quick thoughts on the upcoming NFL Draft. First, I still hope the Lions select Texas LB Derrick Johnson. There is some growing concern over him, like an inability to shed blockers, his avoiding contact, etc...., but I think that's more a product of over-analysis. Let's face it, the nine guys projected to be selected before the Lions choice, regardless of who they are, have question marks.

Johnson, if available when the Lions pick at number ten, would be the best player available. Also, with Boss Bailey's twice-injured knee, I wouldn't mind adding a linebacker of Johnson's quality as insurance. Worse case scenario you have both healthy. That's a ton of outside speed at LB.

Of course, there is a good chance Johnson may be gone by the time the Lions are on the clock. Who do I want if Johnson is playing for someone else? Well, that's not as clear. I guess I'd lean towards Georgia DE/OLB David Pollack. He does scare me more than a bit, but so do all the other names the Lions would be contemplating if Johnson is gone.

I view Pollack as more of a rush LB, not a true defensive end, which is what the Lions are really in need of. I get worried about tweeners and Pollack is a tweener. He will, however, rush the passer and I haven't heard anyone question his desire.

Two players I definitely would prefer the Lions not select: Erasmus James and Alex Barron. Both give me Aaron Gibson nightmares. James, like Gibson, is a Wisconsin product. James has a less than encouraging injury history, which will probably endear him to the Lions' brass, but leaves me wanting no part of the big guy.

Mention Barron's name and words like "soft" get whispered. A soft offensive lineman? No, thanks. Give me one of the handful of OLB/DEs first.

If the Lions end up with James or Barron at ten, that would be my draft nightmare come true. Well, to be more accurate, my draft nightmare would be for Johnson to be available at ten, then they take either James or Barron instead. I didn't even like typing that sentence. That scenario would just be unbelievably bad.

The best case scenario for me would be to see the Lions get Johnson at ten and grab the pass rusher they need with their second round choice. I'd like to see another wide receiver taken by the fourth round, as well. Another defensive back would seem necessary, too. Of course, what do I know?

No comments: