Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Midweek Meanderings

Although he is way too low on this list, the Tigers' Jeremy Bonderman gets some love from SI.com.

Repeat after me fellow Detroit Lions fans "I am so glad Cleveland took Kellen Winslow, Jr.".

A Michigan legend passes from the scene.

Bellamy Road is your Kentucky Derby favorite at this moment. If you saw the Wood Memorial, you would agree.

I want the Celtics to beat the Pacers anyway, but knowing we can all relive the brawl and it's aftermath about 10,000 more times if Indiana advances to take on the Pistons, I am really pulling for the C's.

Is it just me or does Alan Trammell just seem to rest his big names way too much?

I was happy to see him let Bonderman toss more than 100 pitches the other night. I was equally happy to see Tram vary his pattern of Kyle Farnsworth in the seventh, Ugueth Urbina in the eighth and Troy Percival in the ninth.

I don't report as much on the Pistons as I should. Frankly, I'm not sure why I don't. I think I take them for granted. They are a solid team on both ends of the floor and I just expect them to win on most nights. They usually do, too.

Bud Selig wants harsher penalties for those players using steroids and a variety of other performance enhancers. Now, it's up to the MLBPA to agree. They won't, of course. Not without stipulations. Lots of them.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Donald Fehr and the union failed the players. By refusing to ban these substances long before they became an issue, Fehr allowed the users to take a PR hit and potentially face a life threatening issues long-term. He also made his entire membership appear guilty by association. The MLBPA proved, once and for all, that their concern is not about the players, but about their paychecks.

By the way, this is another union failure. Although, I'm not exactly buying the story.

This is not an improvement.

Liverpool appears determined to ruin Everton's Champions League spot. The Toffees had best just take care of business in the Premiership and never mind what their backyard rivals accomplish in the CL Final.

No comments: