Monday, May 16, 2005

Monday Night Moanin'

In a little tribute to former Detroit Free Press columnist Bob Talbert, I've entitled this vast array of unconnected observations after his famous "Out Of My Monday-Moanin' Mind'" columns. It also has kind of a sports ring to it with the slightly more obvious connection to Monday Night Football (and Baseball).

Not all of it will be moanin'. Most of it will be sports related, but I'll warn you that I may toss in a few non-sports topics, too. After a tip of the cap to Mr. Talbert, we're off.

Why do I get the feeling watching the U.S. Open this year will be like watching tennis on Boise State's football field? Seems the USTA thinks we cannot follow the ball very well, so they've opted to paint the courts blue. Yes, blue. This will help the ball stand out for fans and players alike. I'm having a Fox glow puck flashback.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I'm siding with Manchester United fans on this one. I just have bad vibes about Malcolm Glazer's takeover of the Premier League club.

Can anyone tell me why red peppers (and yellow and orange, for that matter) are $4.99/lb? It seems even more odd when compared to green peppers that are less than half that cost. I'm sure the answer is simple, but there does not appear to be a short supply of peppers in any color.

The review of Mitch Albom's work at the Free Press is complete. The summary of their review is equal parts explanation and Albom love fest. I'm not sure why they spent so much time discussing Albom's history at the paper and his far-reaching endeavors today?

Albom's is one of paper's drawing cards, I know that. Albom is a busy guy. I knew that, too. Albom is a talented fellow. I kind of picked up on that. However, how does any of this fit into the context of the investigation?

The final analysis of the situation comes across as Albom is a busy, productive, respected, although widely disliked by his colleagues, member of the media. If he makes a tiny error, one many at the Freep and other publications have done, we need to be understanding as long as the story is right.

Hey, I've got no problem with that theory. I just hope the Free Press hierarchy understands that their journalism can now be perceived as stories "based" on actual events. Kind of like made-for-tv-movies.

One of my co-workers has been worried about the possible Eastern Conference Final match-up between the Detroit Pistons and Miami Heat since the regular season began. My friend at the office has been lauding the Heat all season. I, conversely, dismissed the Heat all season long. If the Pistons could beat the Lakers with Shaq O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, the certainly can beat Shaq and Dwayne Wade, right?

Well, for the first time all season, I'm concerned about a Pistons-Heat meeting. If the Heat can pound on Washington without the Big Fella, that's not a good sign for Detroit basketball fans. Yeah, Indiana is better than the Wizards, but I'm starting to believe in the Heat' bench. That's not something I could say even a week ago.

Of course, the Pistons still need to find a way to dispose of the Pacers. Tell me Rick Carlisle isn't a good coach.

I knew this was a bad idea (scroll way down) right from the moment I read it. Too bad Marquette's administration doesn't have a grasp of the obvious.

Are there even two roads in the Metro Detroit area not under construction at some juncture?

Have you ever seen those construction warning signs suggesting you choose an alternate route as delays are possible on the path you have chosen? Well, I wonder how congestion free the alternate routes are going to be if everyone opts to take them instead? Wouldn't you advise us to avoid the alternates as delays are possible there, too?

In what may be the worst baseball uniforms at any level, the University ofMiami has trotted out orange tops with gray pants. I think the pants are pinstriped green, too. I can't find a great photo, but you get a small taste here. They are even worse on television. Terrible.

Bud tosses Donald under the bus, part II.

Tonight's "I Know You Don't Care" post: Ricky Ray re-joins the Edmonton Eskimos. Yes, I am happy about this. Yes, I am a geek. I thought having a blog implied that?

Yesterday, the sun came up. And Annika Sorenstam won.

That's all for tonight. Hopefully, I didn't embarass myself or the late Mr. Talbert too much. Thanks for stopping in.

No comments: