Friday, June 03, 2005

College World Series Predictions

Yes, it's the post you all have been waiting for. It's time for me to make my College World Series predications. Remember, boys and girls, this is for entertainment purposes only. Put those nasty old bracket sheets and that money away.

I'll spare you the game by game, region by region analysis and skip to the Elite Eight. The eight teams I predict to play in Omaha are: Tulane, Long Beach State, Texas, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Fullerton and Nebraska.

Yeah, it's a pretty standard group. Nothing really screams underdog. At least, not to me anyway. Some college baseball experts might disagree, but these are all either elite baseball powers or schools from power conferences or both.

Let me say that of the eight, two I really couldn't decide on. I'm less sold on Clemson and Georgia Tech than my other six choices. At some point during my thought process, I had both TCU and Baylor beating Clemson.

As for Tech, well, there is this school from Ann Arbor in their region that I sort of hope wins. Michigan can win the region, but getting past a Super Regional series in light of the up and down year the Wolverines have had is simply asking for too much.

As usual, I'm rooting for the Northern schools to do well. Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami (OH), Maine and St. John's join Michigan in the NCAA's. Oregon State might even qualify for this group, but they are still from a power conference, so not quite the baseball underdog as the midwest and northeast institutions.

The finals should pit Tulane against.....against.....against Florida State. There I said it. FSU makes the finals. No, I have no foundation for that pick. I didn't have a clue about the other selections, either, but I didn't let that stop me.

*Note-The tournament started earlier today, but I have not yet seen a single result. I am confident that most of these schools have lost since I selected them to do otherwise.

No comments: