Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Draft Day Thoughts And Tigers Links

The Tigers ended up going with high schooler Cameron Maybin with the tenth overall selection in the draft. This is a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that many, including the staff at Baseball America, thought Maybin was a top five pick. In theory, the Tigers got a minor steal. In theory.

My problem with the pick is that Maybin is probably further from contributing to the success of the big league club than I would like. That's not unusual, most high school kids fall into that category, thus my preference for college players. However, I still believe the Tigers are in need of some more immediate assistance.

However, I can't fault the Tigers for taking a player with Maybin's upside. Obviously, I will be a member of the Cameron Maybin Fan Club until given a reason not to be.

Their second round choice was kind of puzzling. Chris Robinson, catcher, from Illinois. I think most teams thought he would go much later in the draft. I know I did. I like the kid, I'm a Big Ten baseball fan, so I embraced his selection. I was just caught off guard by how early he went. Happy to have him wearing the Old English D. Or that nifty Sea Wolf.

Can't say I know one stinking thing about third rounder Kevin Whelan. What I've read so far indicates he is projected to be a closer. I'm guessing he throws hard, as Dave Dombrowski isn't a fan of the soft tossers. As I stated earlier, I prefer the college kids, and Whelan was the first of three straight NCAA players the Tigers grabbed.

I like fourth rounder Jeff Larish of Arizona State. He hits for power and gets a fairly healthy amount of free passes. I would think he would start at Lakeland, but wouldn't be there very long. AA Erie isn't out of the question, in my mind, though, as the Pac-10 provides a fairly high level of competition.

Fifth rounder Michael "Clete" Thomas appears to have decent wheels and a good bat. (I'm assuming Clete and Michael are one and the same. There is only one other Thomas on Auburn's roster he is a freshman, thus ineligible for the draft.) Both Thomas and Maybin are centerfielders by trade. I wonder if Maybin's career will begin at Lakeland and Thomas at Erie? I love the nickname, Clete. Cannot recall one in baseball since Clete Boyer.

After Thomas, the Tigers selected five pitchers in a row. Again, I don't know anything about the remaining choices on Day 1. We will all have to wait to hear about their long-term potential over the next several days.

In an interesting note for the Maize and Blue fans out there, Zach Putnam didn't get drafted until very late. I thought I heard the 8th round. The Ann Arbor native was projected at the beginning of the year to go in the top ten picks overall. I suspect that his lower than expected draft selection increases the odds he joins the Michigan baseball squad next year. I hope so, anyway.

Here are some Tiger links for your reading pleasure. Billfer at the Detroit Tigers Weblog keeps up with the draft here.

Jeff at TigerBlog wonders about what to do with Urbina ? To trade or not to trade? That is the question. (As always, my answer is "What are the Tigers getting in return?")

With a post getting all kinds of links throughout Tigertown, Blue Cats and Red Sox makes me want to quit blogging immediately with her fine poetry on the Tigers/O's contest. You just can't compete with that kind of stuff. Well, I can't anyway.

Correction: I was wrong. Apparently, Zach Putnam did not get drafted at all on the first day. I hope to see Putnam in Big Ten play next spring.

No comments: