Sunday, August 08, 2004

I Might Have A Favorite NASCAR Driver

I admit to not being much of a NASCAR fan. I know the names of most of the sport's participants, but I can't follow it with any passion. If I have a favorite driver, it would probably be Jeff Gordon. I chose Gordon mostly because so many of NASCAR's faithful hate the guy. However, I see I may have another potential favorite driver.

Casey Mears, the nephew of Indy 500 champion Rick Mears, is now on the NASCAR circuit.
Back when the Indianapolis 500 was American auto racing, Rick Mears captured the Brickyard title three times. He was, and still is, my favorite driver in auto racing. Now, that I see his nephew is on the NASCAR circuit, I may have to root for the guy.

For all I know, Casey Mears has been in NASCAR for years. However, by clinching today's pole at the Brickyard 400, he has caught my attention. I'd love to see Rick Mears' nephew win at Indy and follow in his uncle's footsteps.

No comments: