Monday, August 09, 2004

Maddux And The Pitchers Of This Era

Greg Maddux won his three hundredth game over the weekend. Maddux is a master craftsman in every sense. He has been a brilliant pitcher. He appears to have spent most of his career just out-thinking his opponents. His starts won't dazzle the average fan. He doesn't possess a blazing fastball. He isn't emotional. He just gets guys out and wins games. Technical, clinical, successful.

In spite of this being an era of record breaking offensive production, the exploits of Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and other hitters grab the headlines, a number of pitchers have been spectacular. Maddux, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez would head the list of elite pitchers in this hitter friendly time.

When I think about the success these four have had, I wonder if I would take four other pitchers from any other era before them? A four man rotation of Maddux, Big Unit, The Rocket and Pedro. I think I'd take my chances with the four of them against any four in the history of the game.

No comments: