Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Random Observations

Time for a Tuesday look around the sports world.

I found this link over at NBA Fan Blog. I'll bet nearly every fan of the Boston Celtics hopes this scenario comes true. Danny Ainge's moves as Celtics big cheese have been puzzling at best. Although, I suspect the return of Antoine Walker will give the C's some success. Maybe even a first round playoff win? Hey, it's the East. If Ainge doesn't depart on his own, C's fans may remove him forceably at season's end.

I've got to make an admission. I never like Tayshaun Prince. Not at Kentucky. Not when the Pistons drafted him. Not during that first regular season. However, when Rick Carlisle was forced to take the reigns off, as Detroit was losing a playoff series to Orlando (as I recall), we all got to see a glimmer of what Tayshaun was capable of. I became impressed.

When Larry Brown gave him more encouragement last year, Prince showed more ability and he became my favorite Piston. He could knockdown a three, play D on just about anybody and could pass the rock. Now, Prince is becoming a scorer. His emergence has been a major reason for the Pistons success since January 1. Prince's development has led to a significant decrease in the Carmelo Anthony talk around Motown. It may also make the Pistons back-to-back champions.

If I were the Temple A.D., I would be trying to convince basketball coach John Chaney to retire. I worry about Chaney. He appears headed down a Woody Hayes/Bobby Knight-like path. His actions this time were not a fit of rage, but premediated. If Chaney can't see his way clear to stepping down, the university will probably have to fire him.

Thursday is Tigers vs. Phillies in the Grapefruit League opener. Yes, snow covered fans, baseball and spring are coming. It just doesn't look like it right now.

Not that you care one hoot, but my lads at Everton continue to excel. The Blues topped Aston Villa 3-1 Saturday. A tremendous road win. Everton maintains the fourth spot in the Premiership. I know little about soccer, but I know this run was unexpected.

I jumped on the Everton bandwagon mostly because I knew a little about Wayne Rooney. However, when Rooney bailed and headed for Manchester United, I felt obligated to support the Toffees. Someone should, right? Now, the boys are in the midst of a semi-magical campaign. I suppose this is how one becomes a fan of a club, isn't it?

No comments: