Thursday, December 15, 2005

For The Second Time This Year...

I agree with Drew Sharp. Maybe I would feel better if I thought Sharp was actually agreeing with me? Probably not.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with every point Mr. Sharp makes, but the general premise is that the Tigers are banking everything on an uncertain future. It's a perspective worth debating even if you aren't enamored with the idea of the Tigers making the Josh Beckett trade.

It's difficult to understand how so many players, both via trade and free agency, are on the market, yet the fourth place Tigers don't feel anyone more than Kenny Rogers and Todd Jones can help this team.

Here's an interesting tidbit courtesy of Bob Nightengale of USA Today. In his sidebar entitled, The Buzz, Nightengale states:
Tigers GM David Dombrowski told his staff that the team must have a winning season or there will be massive firings, starting with himself.
I guess I've just gone way too far off the cynical deep end, but I'm not buying this for a second. Seriously, if you were the Tigers G.M. and you absolutely had to win this year or get canned, would you place your fate in the hands of Kenny Rogers, Todd Jones and an everyday lineup as injury riddled as the Tigers have been? It just doesn't seem to make much sense.

If Dombrowski were under heat, wouldn't he make bolder moves this winter? I just can't see any G.M. thinking some minor adjustments to a fourth place club was going to save his job.

If it is true, who wants to be first to ponder the viability of Paul Depodesta or Theo Epstein?

3 comments:

Lee Panas said...

I also don't think there is any truth to the "massive firings rumor". If it is true and Dombrowski gets canned, I'd love to see Epstein come to Detroit. I think DD is ok but I like Epstein and it would be fun to see what he could do with a smaller payroll.

Sam said...

I really hope DD doesn't get canned. I still think he's going about things the right way, or as close to the right way as he can get in the inevitable Detroit situation (where it's hard to lure FAs here, etc). But, if he did have to leave, of course I would love to see Theo. Because. Well. Duh.

Ian C. said...

I think it took me about two seconds to ponder Paul Depodesta's viability. Like everyone else who read Moneyball and thought "Hey, why don't we hire that guy?" I was curious how he'd do once he got his own team to run. But he did a terrible job in LA, and I find it hard to imagine he'd get another GM job any time soon.