Friday, December 02, 2005

Making A List

Veteran readers of this blog will acknowledge that I rely heavily on two things: unfounded rumors and wild speculation. With that in mind, and on the verge of baseball Winter Meetings, I bring you my Detroit Tigers shopping list*. These are the players I would most like to see in an Olde English D come Opening Day.

(* This list is subject to change depending on current rumors, deals that are made and the whims of this blogger.)

1. Javier Vazquez, RHP. I've been down this road before. I think a Vazquez for Pudge Rodriguez deal makes sense. Well, it does to me anyway. Sure, Vazquez has Detroit on his no-trade list. (A good catch by Lee Panas at Tiger Tales for picking up the no-trade clause note.) That doesn't mean a trade can't happen anyway. Humor me.

2. Juan Pierre, CF. Pierre is skyrocketing up this chart. Why? Let's make a quick checklist as to the voids Pierre would fill in the Tigers' lineup. A true CF? Check. A leadoff hitter? Check. A lefthanded bat? Check. Do we need this guy? Check. Why don't I have this guy number one, again?

3. Troy Glaus, 3B. A year ago the Tigers tried to sign him as a free agent. After a fine '05 campaign, the Diamondbacks appear open to the thought of moving the former UCLA star. Why? I don't know and I don't care. He's a legit power hitter and pretty darn good defensive thirdbaseman. Yeah, yeah. He's got shortcomings. So does this blog, but you came anyway, didn't you?

4. Barry Zito, LHP. The only reason the former Cy Young Award winner isn't higher is because I simply do not believe the Tigers can offer enough to Billy Beane to land him. If they did, I'd worry that the Tigers gave up their entire farm system. I mean the entire stinking system--players, stadiums, uniforms, everything.

5. Hank Blalock, 3B. I could just be plain stupid, but don't the Tigers need a lefty power guy at Comerica Park? Yes, I know his road splits indicate he may be more a product of the ballpark he plays in, but he's still probably an offensive upgrade over Brandon Inge.

6. Matt Morris, RHP. He's higher on this list than the player at number seven for two simple reasons. I think he will be cheaper and sign a shorter term deal than the next guy on my list. It's not like he's an awful pitcher, either.

7. A.J. Burnett, RHP. The flavor du jour. Everyone with a checkbook is chasing this below .500 career hurler. He does have great stuff, though. He also underachieves and might be a clubhouse problem. Did I mention it might take $11 million or more a season to get him into an Olde English D? He's sinking on my list nearly as fast as Pierre is climbing it.

8. Aubrey Huff, OF/1B/3B. The only reason Huff isn't much higher is that this is the first winter I can recall where his name hasn't be tossed about as trade bait. As this appears to be more my fantasy than even the others, he checks in at number eight. If he's available, he would top Blalock and probably Glaus on my list. I wonder if the Rays might be convinced into pairing Dmitri Young with his brother Delmon?

9. Bobby Abreu, OF. The Phillies are denying he's available. I suspect in regards to the Tigers, that's correct. If there was even a snowball's chance, Abreu would obviously be much higher.

10. Kevin Millwood, RHP. He's only about two years older than Burnett, but seems like he's been around forever. I just don't believe he's considering Detroit, but as he's a solid starter, he stays on the list.

11. Adam Eaton, RHP. There are rumors the Padres may part with Eaton. I have my doubts, but he's got to be on the list.

12. Carl Pavano, RHP. Rumor has it the Tigers called the Yanks and wondered if Pavano could be available. The same rumor claims Pavano wants out of New York. GM Brian Cashman has been in constant denial mode since the rumor came out. Make of that what you will. I actually think Burnett has better stuff, but clearly the Tigers appear to be enamored with Pavano.

13. Lyle Overbay, 1B. Yes, another firstbaseman. He is, however, a lefthanded stick. He's also most definitely on the market. How in the world the Tigers would clear up the logjam at first, I have no idea. (Well, ok, I do have an idea, but that's not the subject matter right now.)

14. Adam Dunn, OF/1B. He's been rumored around here for about two years. I don't know if the Tigers or Reds are interested in a deal for Dunn, but, hey, old rumors die hard. He certainly would be a lefty power bat. Dunn's arrival would only further clutter the 1B/DH/OF glut at Comerica Park.

15. Jeff Weaver, RHP. Kidding. Just kidding.

16. Toby Hall, Ramon Hernandez, Brad Ausmus, C. Any of them would be my choice as catcher if Pudge were moved. I suspect the Tigers would slide Inge behind the plate, if Rodriguez went elsewhere, but I'm not crazy about that plan. Don't fear Tigertown, Ausmus won't get East of the Mississippi.

17. The remaining free agent relievers. The Tigers are going to sign a free agent closer, so I best warm up to the notion of one of them pitching the ninth for Detroit. The current thought has Dombrowski chasing Trevor Hoffman. I'm not thrilled. I see Hoffman as Troy Percival, Part II. I just can't get past the similarities--older guy, made his name on the left coast, history of arm troubles. It's just too scary. The bet here at BB is that Jose Mesa will be the guy. Again, that's just a gut feeling. I'm not bothering with facts.

18. Paul Byrd, RHP, Jarrod Washburn, LHP. Both older and not what they used to be. You could argue that the Tigers might be better off letting Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya learn in The Show than coughing up money for either of these guys. You might be right, but the Tigers are determined to add a hurler and if everyone else is gone, I suspect they would sign one of these two.

19. Joey Gathright, OF. The Rays are outfield heavy. Rocco Baldelli is scheduled to return to centerfield in Tampa in '06, thus Gathright might come at a reasonable price. I like his offense a bit better than Nook Logan's and his speed is close to Logan's. This is bargain hunting move, but there are worse options.

20. Nomar Garciaparra, 3B. I think if he's healthy he might be able to play LF, CF or 3B. I admit to being a Nomar fan, but I'd offer him nothing more than a two year, incentive laden deal.

As to whom the Tigers might trade to get some of the above names, I don't care as long as those names do not include Jeremy Bonderman and Justin Verlander. Joel Zumaya is on the fringe of untradeable, as well. Chris Shelton is really close, too. However, anyone else is fair game. It depends on who ends up here.

As for the potential free agents, I don't mind coughing up ridiculous amounts of Mr. Ilitch's money with one provision--it had best be a short term contract or the guy better be really, really good. I don't believe anyone on the list above qualifies for the latter, so the former is my only concern.

As an example, I like Matt Morris, but not for five years under any condition. If the Tigers are determined to land Burnett, fine, but I'd rather see them pay him $12 million a season over three years than $50 million over five. That's just me.

Hopefully, the Tigers will be active over the Winter Meetings and we will have plenty more to debate and discuss.

3 comments:

Lee Panas said...

There was actually a note in the Bay Area Insider this morning about the Tigers being interested in Garciaparra: http://www.insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_3275335

Ian C. said...

Unfounded rumors and wild speculation are the water and bread of the baseball offseason, Brian! You're an ambitious man, and I like it!

I love all your ideas, but I'm particularly Lyle Overbay's on your list. I realize the Tigers are glutted at 1st base/DH, but Overbay would be TERRIFIC in Comerica Park.

I only wish there was a way to get one of these guys while shedding Magglio Ordonez off the payroll. Dombrowski might be able to trade Pudge, which is one bad contract off the books. But if Maggs isn't even going to play full-time in the outfield next season, his contract is even more ludicrous.

Lee Panas said...

I also think wild rumors and speculation are cool as long as you say up front that it is wild rumors and speculation as you always do. My blog is hopelessly confined by math, science and conservative commentary but it's fun to dream sometimes too. I want Albert Pujols.