Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tigers Land Jones And Rogers

Todd Jones and Kenny Rogers, huh? It's a start. I guess. I'm trying to warm up to the idea of the Tigers bypassing the likes of Juan Pierre (which I believe is a mistake) and landing two members of AARP for their pitching staff. Ok, I guess I'm not getting over the fact that Minnesota is rumored to be chasing down Hank Blalock and the Tigers are signing senior citizens. I just have reservations about both deals.

Look, like just about everyone else who has said or written a word about him today, I like Todd Jones. I'm happy he's back even if I have to sit through more than a few of his traditional strikeout, walk, single, forceout at second, walk, stolen base, groundout to short on three-two pitch while up only one run ninth innings. (Jim Leyland is going to go through cigarettes this year like Earl Weaver did everytime the former Baltimore manager sent Don Stanhouse to the hill late in games. Jones may provide relief, but it ain't instant relief.) Jones is a good guy and likes Detroit. He also had arguably his finest season wearing the Olde English D.

Yes, the Tigers paid more for Jones than I would have preferred. (However, you could plug the name of every other free agent signed to date into the previous sentence and it would still be accurate.) Jones is also much closer to forty than thirty and that is reason for concern. Yet, Jones is still a decent closer and most certainly an upgrade over Fernando Rodney, even if every Jones outing is a roller coaster ride. The two year contract with Jones also minimizes the Tigers risk which is something I universally embrace.

Then comes Kenny Rogers. I'm not as optimistic about The Gambler's arrival. Oh, Rogers is still a solid MLB hurler. He is also coming off a fairly nice season and leaving a hitter friendly home yard for Comerica Park, a place where pitchers should fare much better. Like Jones over Rodney, I would grudgingly acknowledge that I view Rogers as an upgrade over Jason Johnson.

So, why am I not as positive about Rogers? Yes, there is last season's mental breakdown. His abuse of the media in Texas does little to warm my heart. I just am not excited about the notion of Rogers beating on our local press. (Even though many of you secretly would love the idea if you could pick the media member.) Detroit and the Tigers simply do not need an ounce of any negative press.

There is also the fact that Rogers is over forty years old. He is a soft-tossing lefty, "crafty" would be the baseball parlance, which should help his arm, but how long much longer can he be effective? I also know that Rogers hasn't performed terrible well under the heat and I'm not talking about those muggy August days downtown. No, I'm referring to pitching under pressure. Note, his less than dazzling stint in New York and his collapse at the All-Star Game and second half fade last season.

Like Jones, Rogers got more money than I would have liked. Eight million a year? Seems like quite a bit for the prototype soft-tossing pitcher that Dave Dombrowski usually avoids. It makes me wonder why, coupled with his off-field problems, Dombrowski opted for Rogers over the remaining free agent arms? Rogers deal is only for two campaigns, as well. He's here, but not for long and that does soften my concern.

I also need to point out something about Rogers. Because some in Tigertown are already misguided about it, I want to be very clear on this next statement. To help, I'm going to type slowly. Here goes. Kenny Rogers is not a number one starter. I repeat (still typing slowly), Kenny Rogers is not a number one starter.

Jeremy Bonderman is still the Tigers number one guy. Do not be confused by the cash. Do not be confused because so many have implied or demanded that the Tigers acquire a veteran number one arm. Rogers is, indeed, a veteran, but he is not a number one guy. In fact, there were/are zero number one starters available via free agency this year. Hopefully, we are now clear on this.

Jones and Rogers are pretty clearly stop-gap moves. Additions made for the short-term while waiting for the next round of Tiger farmhands to arrive. I remain hopeful that the Tigers not not anywhere near done. I'm still hoping for upgrades (can you say "Tejada"?), this in spite of the fact Dombrowski continues to say that "one closer, one starter" is all the Tigers are looking for and that the lineup is "set". Yeah, set for fourth place.

These first two moves are decent. They aren't spectacular nor do they make the Tigers significantly improved. Overall, my grade on these deals would be something like a B-/C+.

1 comment:

Ian C. said...

As usual, Brian, you touched on a couple of points I'd like to response to.

First, I think Detroit should absolutely get involved in the Hank Blalock dealings. One, because his bat at 3rd base would be great. Two, that bat left-handed with power, something the Tigers really need. Three, you have to stop a division rival from getting him.

Second, I also find it strange that a GM who has always stated his preference for power pitchers signed a soft-tossing lefty.

Third, Tejada? You're an ambitious man and I love that!