Sunday, September 19, 2004

Lions Diary

2-0. The Lions are undefeated after beating the Houston Texans 28-16. It wasn't an epic battle, it was just a nice win at home. It also moved the Lions to the top of the division. (Yeah, yeah, Minnesota can tie them with a win tomorrow. Don't be so technical. Let me enjoy the moment.)

I have to be pleased with Roy Williams who caught two touchdowns today (too bad I didn't start him in my fantasy league). He looks like a potential star after the first two weeks of the season. There seems to be little Williams cannot do. I wasn't much of a Williams fan in college, but his performance thus far has changed my mind. I hope he can maintain this level of play.

DT Shaun Rogers is heading straight for Hawaii. He is a dominant inside force. Joey Harrington didn't post spectacular numbers, but was steady and avoided big mistakes. I'll take a 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio anyday.

The concern has to be the defense that today allowed over 300 yards to Houston. I doubt the Lions can allow playoff caliber teams that type of output and still gain a victory. DE James Hall was offsides about four times. Again, that type of play will not earn you a win over a good team.

Next week, that good team arrives. Philadelphia pays Detroit a visit in Week Three. I suspect more than a few Lions fans will be watching tomorrow night's game between the Eagles and Minnesota to get a good look at next week's opponent.

I'll worry about the Eagles in a couple of days. After having so many bad starts, I'm going to enjoy this 2-0 beginning for a while longer.

No comments: