Sunday, September 26, 2004

Lions Diary

It was over almost before it began. The Philadelphia Eagles showed the Lions' faithful why they are Super Bowl contenders. I didn't get to see any of the first half, but it was 7-0 Eagles when I turned my radio on, 14-0 shortly after and 21-0 when I decided I would turn the radio off and watch what was left when I got home.

When the tv went on, it was 27-7 Eagles and about the only positive thing I gleaned was that Philadelphia kicker Jeff Akers was having a good day. He started on my fantasy team this week. The final was a disappointing 30-13 score. I never expected a Super Bowl run from the Detroit football team, but I would have preferred a closer game against a quality opponent.

Of course, there was one other huge good sign for me and the Lions. Roy Williams was having his best day yet. The rookie wide receiver caught nine passes for 135 yards and scored both Lions' touchdowns. I started him on my fantasy team, too. More importantly, the Lions may actually have their first great offensive player since Barry Sanders retired and their best receiver since Herman Moore's glory days.

The game itself was never really that much of a contest, so I don't think I'll dwell on it. Philadelphia is very good and no one should be too surprised the Lions got slapped around. I heard Kevin Jones' was injured, so that will concern all of Lions' Country. They must have him back and healthy. Hopefully, the week off will help Jones and the other banged up Lions.

2-1 after three weeks isn't too bad. In light of their recent history, I'll embrace the winning record in September and hope October provides the Lions with another winning mark.

No comments: