Thursday, November 10, 2005

Trading Pudge And Adding Arms

Figuring out what the Detroit Tigers should do in the off-season is always entertaining. Well, it's entertaining for me anyway. Trying to gauge what direction the Tigers are going, I bring you the following tidbits of media speculation and my pointless input, as well.

First is Lynn Henning's piece in Wednesday's Detroit News. Henning ponders a possible trade of Pudge Rodriguez. While he offers the obvious obstacle, Pudge's contract, he suggests the Mets might be a potential trading partner in the post-Mike Piazza era. They have both the need for a catcher and enough money to consider acquiring the future Hall of Fame member. It seems like a logical assumption.

Henning then provided a trade scenario I like even better. Here Henning wonders if Pudge could be dealt to Arizona for Javier Vazquez. Pudge is due around $20 million over the next two years while Vazquez is going to get $24 million. From a contractual standpoint, it's just about a wash. From a competitive standpoint, my initial reaction is "Oh, please let this deal happen".

I'll admit Vazquez' numbers don't knock your socks off, but a veteran who is still throwing 200 innings a season with nearly 200 K's is something that would almost have to help the rotation.
Vazquez is also the same age as A.J. Burnett, whom the Tigers and half of MLB is pursuing. While I have no idea what kind of coin is going to be tossed Burnett's way, I do know that Vazquez is only signed for two more seasons. If he fails, the Tigers aren't paying him for an eternity (see Higginson, Bobby and Ordonez, Magglio) which might be the case with Burnett.

While Vazquez has pitched far more innings than Burnett, I doubt Burnett is going to sign for only two seasons. Vazquez might give you the similar production, but for less money and/or over a shorter period of time. I like the concept of less long-term risk.

Here is the question we can debate. Who would you rather see on the mound in the second game of the year--Vazquez, Mike Maroth or Nate Robertson? Better yet, ask yourself who gives you a better chance of winning Game Two of a playoff series? Again, I'll opt for Vazquez.

If you ask me who the Tigers could use more in 2006, Pudge or Vazquez? I'd pick Vazquez. A veteran, reliable starter over a catcher not all that happy to be here? It's not that difficult a decision.

Now, let's remember something. Vazquez alone would not be my off-season plan. No, no, no. Then the Tigers need to follow that up by landing another free agent starter. Yes, I know Dave Dombrowski is implying only one starter is needed. I tend to disagree. If the Tigers could pull the Rodriguez for Vazquez deal, I would then go after another free agent arm.

Why? Well, how about an Opening Day rotation of Jeremy Bonderman, Vazquez, Matt Morris (for the sake of argument), Nate Robertson and Mike Maroth? Would you feel better about your staff then? Would you feel better about the Tigers in general? I would. Once again, I defer to my earlier question. Would you rather have Morris or Robertson or Maroth pitching the third game of 2006? Which is more likely to help the Tigers close the gap on the World Champion White Sox?

Some of you out there are going to wonder about Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya? The really geeky types might even ask about Roman Colon. Well, kids, I think the Tigers youngsters belong in Toledo. I want them to earn a spot in the big league rotation. Basically, I don't want them rushed to Comerica Park as Bonderman was.

Once they arrive, I want them firmly entrenched in the back of the rotation until they merit a promotion. Adding a couple of veteran arms should easy the pressure on the entire staff and allow the prospects to develop on their own timetable. I realize that's crazy talk, but that's kind of typical around here.

In spite of the company line that says the Tigers are only looking for one starter and a closer this winter, I would like the Tigers to find a way to add a bat or two (Rafael Furcal, please) plus a second starter (Morris, Jarrod Washburn, Paul Bryd, et al). That's a hefty "To Do" list. It's probably not even possible, but it's Hot Stove banter, so I'm going to dream big until given a reason not to.

3 comments:

Ian C. said...

Brian, it can't be healthy for me to get this excited in the morning. Love that Pudge-for-Vasquez idea. I had no idea Vasquez wanted out of Arizona. If Arizona wants that deal, DD should accept it before any second thoughts set in. That helps the Tigers much more than Kaz Matsui would.

And if Matt Morris is also added to the mix, the Tigers' rotation looks, dare I say it, damn good. If DD preferred to spend the free agent money on the bullpen after getting someone like Vasquez, I could live with that too.

Lee Panas said...

I've always liked Vazquez and I'd love to see the Tigers get him. Rodriguez for Vazquez would probably be too good to be true but it's a thought.

greatwhitebear said...

I don't think Pudge is going anywhere, and I look for him to be a much happier camper this year with Leyland the helm.