Monday, January 10, 2005

I Can't Be Right, Can I?

It appears that the Detroit Tigers are, at very least, curious about signing Magglio Ordonez. Even some other Tiger sites have joined my plea to land the ex-White Sox outfielder. To which I say "Welcome to the party, fellas". As I have said here probably far too many times, an incentive based deal to Ordonez is exactly what the Tigers should pursue. However, before I pat myself on the back, let me clear up a few things.

First, it sounds like Ordonez' knee is pudding. That's not promising. The extent to which Ordonez' is able to play is questionable. Second, let's not fool ourselves. Ordonez would prefer to play elsewhere. I think Ordonez would like to play for the Cubs, first. Texas may even be second. Detroit is only on the radar because they have both interest and cash. Third, and finally, let's remember who Ordonez' agent is: Scott Boras. Boras is a master of "creating" interest in his clients, even the ones barely able to walk.

None of these obstacles is overwhelming, though. If Ordonez can only hit, which may be all his knee allows him to do, he could still DH in the American League. Last I checked, the Cubs were still in the National League. Having one more option to collect incentive money does help the Tigers' chances.

As for the Cubs interest, they were not willing to chase Carlos Beltran this year or Ivan Rodriguez last season. Have they found a closer, yet? The Cubs may be close to the end of their financial rope. They are certainly making it appear that way. Regardless, other teams, including the Cubbies, will make Camp Ordonez an offer. However, I'm not sure I can see his agent walking away from the highest bidder.

As for Mr. Boras, he did get Pudge Rodriguez the money he was looking for, so I'll remain optimistic that the same thing can be done to bring Maggs' bat to Comerica Park in 2005. The Tigers just need to make the contract big enough to get Ordonez' attention, but tie the money to production. (Just as an example, I would offer Ordonez up to $11 million a season, assuming he hit all of his goals-at bats, hits, homers, runs batted in, etc....)

If Ordonez' knee is able to carry him successfully through the majority of 2005, he would be a spectacular addition to the Tigers' lineup. While it took the Tigers a while to publicly inquire about Ordonez, I'm glad to see them finally make the effort.

No comments: