Monday, January 10, 2005

Mythical Champions

While Auburn fans still want a piece of the mythical national championship USC claimed last week, another make believe football title was recently captured. For the first time I can ever recall, my fantasy football league team won the league championship. Yes, the Honolulu Blues (I wonder where I got that name from?) finally won a championship.

While my streak of near-misses and lousy seasons doesn't quite match the Boston Red Sox recent snapped string, it does pre-date things like internet stat services. Sure, I've finished first in the regular season on an occasion or two, but never won a championship.

In typical Detroit Lions fashion, the Blues finished the regular season at a less than amazing 7-7, but unlike the home team, went on to win a title.

The Blues were powered by a potent backfield featuring Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber and Kevin Jones. Chris Brown, early, and Larry Johnson, late, also provided punch from the RB slot.

Dante Culpepper was my primary quarterback, but Brett Favre also got his share of points in a league that allowed for two active QBs each week. Byron Leftwich was my clipboard holder.

My receivers were Randy "Drop Your Drawers" Moss, Hines Ward and Andre Johnson. They got help from rookies Roy Williams and Larry Fitzgerald, plus Kerry Colbert. Marcus Pollard and Randy McMichael were my TEs.

David Akers handled my kicking chores and the Detroit Lions' defense helped out. I think they did, anyway. My thanks to all for leading the Honolulu Blues to my first ever fantasy football title, not that a single one of you cares.

No comments: