Sunday, January 02, 2005

Random Thoughts From Bowl Day

I know many still long for a college football playoff system, but I still enjoy the one day bowl bonanza that is January 1. If I had my way, all the big BCS games would be on the first of the year. Forget this January 3rd, January 4th silliness. Give me the Orange Bowl where it should be. Right after the Rose Bowl on January 1.

Regardless, here are some of my unconnected thoughts on college football's biggest day.

I wish the Cotton Bowl was part of the BCS. Really, I just wish it was still a big, big bowl game. No offense to the nice folks in Arizona, but the Cotton Bowl will always be bigger than the Fiesta Bowl to me.

It's not good for college football to have Notre Dame and Alabama be mediocre or worse. Same thing applies to Penn State. Almost every traditional power has taken a hit at some point, but it's time for the Irish, Tide and Nittany Lions to re-join the party.

I really like quarterback Drew Tate of Iowa. I was impressed with him nearly every time I saw him play. That last second touchdown pass to beat LSU didn't surprise me a bit. Okay, it surprised me some, but not much.

A great Rose Bowl. A classic. So much for needing a Pac-10 opponent. Texas proved they belonged in the BCS.

Conversely, what in the world happened to California? Texas Tech just smashed the Bears. Did Cal just get too darn depressed over not being in the Rose Bowl? Their performance won't help them with voters next year.

With Texas beating Michigan and the Red Raiders dropping the Bears, who still thinks the Big XII was weak? (Yeah, I know. Lots of you.)

That Louisville-Boise State match-up turned out to be a great game, although not on January 1. The Cardinals may actually be building a nice, believable program. Their next task, the Big East.

Speaking of believable (okay, so some of the thoughts are connected), Utah looked good again. Pittsburgh ain't Auburn, I'll spot you that. However, the Utes came, saw and beat everyone thrown at them. What more can you ask for?

Vincent Young looked like mini-Michael Vick, didn't he? I hated to say it, but we all thought it. I'm not sure Young is going to be that good all the time, as Michigan just couldn't handle the running QB all year, but with him at the helm Texas is going to be tough again in '05.

Two bowl games remain. I really think the Orange Bowl could be a great game. Lets hope all the players can play up to their potential come Tuesday night. If they come close, it could be every bit as good as the Rose Bowl. Probably better. (For the record, I'm hoping for an Oklahoma win. I'm not expecting it, but I am hopeful.)

Adrian Peterson. Reggie Bush. Ted Ginn. Steve Breaston. Drew Tate. Vincent Young. Anyone else ready for next season, yet?

No comments: