Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ordonez Counters

The Magglio Ordonez saga continues. Today's news is that Ordonez has told agent Scott Boras to offer Detroit a counter-proposal. It appears that if the Tigers agree to Ordonez' counter, the ex-Chicago outfielder will become a Tiger.

I know some view this would-be signing as a potential disaster, The Daily Oakland Press' Pat Caputo offers these words of caution, but even the most negative observer has to admit that a healthy Ordonez is a major upgrade. The question is whether or not Ordonez is indeed healthy.

We all know I favor this move, but I would really have preferred that Ordonez participated in some kind of workout before the Tigers' management. If the Tigers accept this new proposal from Camp Ordonez, without seeing if the guy can even take the field, we are all going to have to hope it's filled with out clauses. More importantly, we are going to have to hope that Ordonez can give the Tigers several strong, productive seasons.

I think it's safe to say that everyone in Tigertown remains cautiously optimistic, myself included.

Update: MLB.com has this story on Ordonez' counter proposal. I just can't see the Tigers topping the five year, seventy million dollar deal the White Sox offered last year. Nor do I think they should.

No comments: