Monday, January 17, 2005

My Euro Football News

I see, courtesy of Sportsfrog.com, that Fox Sports World is about to become Fox Soccer Channel. I have to think this is good news for fans of international football here in the U.S.

As an aside, I noticed this week my sneaky cable provider added Fox Sports World to it's digital television package. Comcast seems unable to inform it's subscribers about their new products/channels. This is the latest example.

Back to news from the pitch. My semi-adopted English Premier League squad, Everton, unloaded Thomas Gravesen to Real Madrid. As the Toffees continue their remarkable season, fourth in the Premiership currently, it's seems like a horribly bad sign for Everton to move one of it's best players.

Yes, Gravesen may have wanted out. Yes, the club is probably not clear of it's financial woes. Yet, this is why they remain semi-adopted on my part. I'm already rooting for a top ten market franchise pawning itself off as a cellar-dwellar (the Detroit Tigers) and an American football squad keeping it's champion-less streak of almost fifty years alive (Detroit Lions), I don't think I can handle one more team struggling to perform at a high level for an extended period.

Of course, Everton is on the bubble of qualifying for Champions League play. Which, should it happen, would border on a miracle. If they can finish as well as they have started, or close to that, I am probably on board for the long haul. They do kind of wear Honolulu Blue, after all.

No comments: