Sunday, July 03, 2005

All-Star Rosters

MLB revealed the All-Star Game rosters earlier this evening. Pudge Rodriguez is the Detroit Tigers lone representative. I'm a bit disappointed that Jeremy Bonderman didn't get named to the A.L. squad, but one thing I've learned watching baseball over the last thirty or so years is that the All-Star rosters announced are rarely identical to those that take the field on game day.

Injuries, no-shows and a variety of factors means that a few guys named today won't be in the Motor City a week from Tuesday. What I believe Bonderman fans have to hope for is that Kenny Rogers pulls himself from the Mid-Summer Classic. Frankly, Rogers has no right whatsoever playing when he should be suspended. Because the MLBPA has the league over a barrel on appealing suspensions, Rogers gets to be included.

(As an extended aside, Rogers should not only not be playing, he should not be appealing his suspension. His suspension should be about a month longer, minimum. Rogers should thank Bud Selig for not giving him the Ron Artest treatment, which is honestly what Rogers merits. Rogers should also be thanking his employer, the Texas Rangers, for not firing him on the spot.)

Considering the current climate, Rogers should graciously decline the invitation to Detroit ASAP. Do something right, Kenny. Step aside. If Rogers can muster that, and I have doubts, Bonderman should get his spot. Replace the angry poster child athlete of the hour with the hometown kid. Sounds like a good P.R. move to me.

Sure, some other pitchers deserve the next open spot as much as Bonderman, but it's not like Bonderman would be getting the nod solely because he's a Tiger. The guy does have ten wins and is fifth in the junior circuit in strikeouts. It's just a win-win situation. Rogers does the noble thing, Bonderman gets his first All-Star appearance in his own park and MLB gets a P.R. upgrade. Why am I not commissioner, again?

Even if Rogers decides to visit Detroit a week from now, and if his contract calls for an All-Star Game bonus you have to think he's going to cash that check, another hurler named to the team today could have to pull out before next Tuesday. That means Bonderman still has a shot to be in uniform on July 12. Obviously, I hope that happens.

I can't say that I am surprised that Pudge got another All-Star berth. He is still an elite level catcher, a certain Hall of Famer and the face of the Tigers to everyone beyond Tigertown. He hasn't been nearly as dominant offensively this year, but his average does still float around .300 and his production is far from awful. It just hasn't been incredible as in years past. I'm happy Pudge got selected. I hope he gets a great ovation from the Detroit citizens in attendance. I also hope he gets to play with at least one more Detroit teammate.

I was surprised to see the Blue Jays' Shea Hillenbrand named to the A.L. team. Hillenbrand is having a nice season, but with Roy Halladay getting the mandatory Toronto selection and with both Paul Konerko and Mike Sweeney playing back-up firstbase to Mark Teixeira, Hillenbrand's selection is curious.

Instead of Hillenbrand, I probably would have gone with Oakland 3B Eric Chavez, who has been hot lately, as the A's nominee and left Justin Duchscherer off the team. Sorry, Justin. What would I have done with the roster spot? Hmmmm? Maybe name another pitcher. Maybe a Tigers' pitcher?

Speaking of pitchers, how on Earth can Roy Oswalt not be an All-Star? I admit that I am a big fan of the Houston righty, but Oswalt is one of the best in the game. I also admit I wouldn't remove a single N.L. starter named to the team to put Oswalt on. However, if I was going to have to face any of those guys in one game and you gave me Oswalt to counter, I'd like my chances.

I'll probably have more All-Star observations later. Remember, just because someone wasn't named today doesn't mean they won't end up All-Stars in a week. Patience remains a virtue.

No comments: