Monday, July 25, 2005

No Tigers On TV, Again?

The Detroit Tigers, only four games out of a wild card spot, are not on television again this evening. This, of course, is ridiculous. I said this earlier in the year and I'll bet it's accurate. If I was living in Portland, Oregon, I would have access to more Tigers games on television than I do right in the heart of Tigertown. It would be laughable, if it weren't true.

This team may not stay within an earshot of the playoff chase, but how come folks in Oklahoma can watch the Tigers take on Seattle tonight, but the diehards right here in Detroit can't? There is simply no good reason for it.

I'm not even complaining for my own benefit. A 10:00pm start is pretty late for me to be awake. However, you cannot tell me most of Tigertown isn't interested in seeing this game. It's in Seattle, for crying out loud. It's not like the Tigers are missing out on ticket revenue if we stay home and watch on television. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that whatever Fox Sports Detroit has on at the timeslot will not draw anything close to the ratings the Tigers would tonight, either.

Hello, they are a decent baseball team for the first time in over a decade. Please, let us watch them on the road. At very least, someone at the Tigers should encourage MLB to lift the local blackout of out-of-town Tigers games on MLB Extra Innings when FSN-Detroit isn't picking the game up.

Note to the Tigers: First, get your television deal done long before Spring Training next season. Then, make sure all games are on local television next year. Yes, I mean all 162. Even those midweek afternoon affairs. I know. It's a crazy concept. Some of your fans, like the elderly and those who work nights, are actually home midday. Humor us. Pretend like we are a baseball town and show all the games.

2 comments:

Ian C. said...

I never thought I'd move back to Michigan and see almost the same number of Tiger games I watched in Iowa.

Okay, that's not true. But still, your point is dead-on. The lack of a "free" TV package this year is embarrassing.

Only the Washington Nationals must have a worse situation with televising games this season.

Greg Eno said...

I agree -- the lack of Tigers on TV is stooopid...what is this, the 70's?