Sunday, July 17, 2005

Worth A Thousand Words

I enjoy old baseball photos. This week, I've come across two places that not only offer a glimpse of some great old snapshots, but the opportunity to purchase them. First, The Detroit News is offering part of their photo archive to the public. I admit I find the cost a bit pricey, but the photos are terrific. As an example, here is Scoolboy Rowe.

Then, I found this collection from the Boston Public Library. Amongst their fine array of Red Sox material is a tremendous photo of Lou Gerhig playing defense at Fenway Park. (Well, at least, I think it's tremendous.) Hey, the Sox stuff is great, too.

As I was going to link the Boston Public Library, I stumbled upon a third photo resource, the Library of Congress. They, too, have some photos worth viewing. This is a quality look at Hall of Famer Honus Wagner. They also have old baseball cards, lithographs and stamps to admire. Some of the items date back to the Civil War-era.

No comments: