Saturday, July 09, 2005

Tonight's Tigers Loss

There are only two things I've gleaned from tonight horrible Tigers loss at Tampa. First, I am starting to believe those who feel Troy Percival is more a gas can than a closer. How many late inning homers is this guy going to surrender?

The other thing I know is that tomorrow could be a beanbrawl. Friday night, Placido Polanco gets hit with the first pitch of the game. Nate Robertson throws one behind Carl Crawford, who lead of the D-Rays half of the first. The home plate ump, instead of issuing warnings all around, tosses Robertson instead. Thankfully, the Tigers held on to win last night.

Tonight, Jonny Gomes, yes, Jonny Gomes, admires his game winning shot for about a week before heading around the bases. Now, I'm not saying I would plunk him tomorrow, wait, yes, I am saying I would plunk him tomorrow. If he's not in the lineup, and I have doubts he will be, I'd have to hit somebody on the Rays. Not in the head, mind you, but I'd be sending a message.

Yes, this is old school thinking. Yes, I'm a Neanderthal. Yes, I'm promoting retaliation. Look, I'm not proud of myself, okay? However, this is only baseball, not a world conflict. In baseball, if you show up an opponent, you pay for it. I felt like Gomes showed up the Tigers.

Could it be I'm upset about losing? Of course. But, I'm also basing some of my thinking on history. We need to remember this is the same Tampa team that got into a beanbrawl war with the Red Sox early in the year. I watched a large part of that series and the D-Rays did the same sort of junk to the champs.

I don't know what's going on in Tampa, as they seem to love to showboat, but they are repeat offenders in my book. I expect the Tigers staff to plunk a Tampa hitter or two tomorrow.

No comments: