Friday, July 22, 2005

Should Farnsworth Get A Longer Suspension?

While most everyone in Tigertown feels Jeremy Bonderman's five game suspension was far too long, SI's John Donovan thinks Kyle Farnsworth should have gotten more than the six games he received. Donovan is none to impressed with Farnsworth's WWF move. Here is piece from his mailbag segment starting with a reader's email:

You're one of the few writers to weigh in on the [Kyle] Farnsworth incident. Why hasn't more been said about this? Farnsworth picked up a guy and slammed him to the ground for no apparent reason. I believe Farnsworth should be suspended for just as long as Kenny Rogers, with a nice little assault charge brought against him. Your thoughts? -- Brian, Lake Zurich

It was brutal, and Major League Baseball slammed the Tigers' Farnsworth with a six-game suspension on Thursday, which he immediately appealed. Farnsworth's defense: K.C. reliever Jeremy Affeldt was "saying stuff." I think the penalty could have been stiffer, but I'll be happy if MLB doesn't back down (for once) and makes Farnsworth serve the whole six games. Totally uncalled for. Totally bush league.

I guess I see Donovan's point, but I still don't see how Bonderman got five games for doing essentially what Affeldt did- "saying stuff". Wasn't Hernandez' plunking of Carlos Guillen bush league, too? We all know I'm in favor of clunking a batter, but not in the noggin. That's taboo even by my low standards. You can toss Farnsworth for more games, but Hernandez had best get the same punishment.

No comments: