Thursday, January 19, 2006

Color Me Gray

It's been said you are one of two types of people. You are either the type that believes the proverbial glass is half full or you're the kind of person that sees the glass as half empty. When it comes to being a fan of the Detroit Lions, I think it's safe to say that many occupy the latter segment. Nearly fifty years of futility doesn't engender positive thought. Yet, when it comes to our beloved Honolulu Blue and Silver, I no longer see the glass as half empty or half full. It's just the same old stinking glass I've been staring at forever.

I want to be optimistic about Rod Marinelli as Detroit Lions coach. I, obviously, want him to lead the Lions to the success they haven't had since 1957. I want to be all fired up about the 2006 season. I want to be ready for training camp today. I'm not. I'm not even close.

It's not Marinelli's fault. I have no idea if he's the right guy or not. I admit that I tend to doubt he's the long term solution, but as I wish to be positive, I'll give the new guy a chance. It's just haven't we all been here, done that, before?

Marinelli's a tough guy. A military guy. A no nonsense guy. A guy the polar opposite of former coach Steve Mariucci. That's just the thing the Lions need, right? Well, maybe. Wasn't Bobby Ross a tough guy? Wasn't he a task master? How did that work out? Unlike Marinelli, Ross was not only a head coach before arriving in the Motor City, but he led San Diego to the Super Bowl. However, Ross failed here just like all the others since '57. So forgive me if Marinelli's direct, stern approach doesn't have me doing cartwheels.

I've sat through offensive gurus, defense first guys, college coaches, first time coaches, re-treads, old guys, young guys, soft guys, tough guys and everything in between. All have crashed and burned attempting to right the ship that is the Detroit Lions Football Club. Maybe Marinelli changes that pattern. Maybe he doesn't. Regardless, I just can't get myself excited about his arrival.

I'm sure Marinelli's age doesn't help. The fact he's never been a head coach anywhere bothers me as does the fact he's never been elevated to a coordinator's role. I'm sure my desire to see Tim Lewis get the job colors my opinion, too. And realizing Marinelli sounded quite a bit like Matt Millen did on his first day (lots of football rhetoric, not much idea what he was getting into) doesn't make me feel very good. Yet, with all that said, could Marinelli turn this team into a playoff team next season? Yes, I think he can.

Marinelli's enthusiasm and desire to teach are evident. If Matt Millen can help his new hire by filling a few roster holes and Marinelli's motivation can stir some of his players out of their malaise, then the playoff are possible in short order. However, an occasional playoff appearance isn't what I am hoping for. If Marinelli comes in and goes 8-8, their will be a party in his honor next year. 9-7 and people will be talking about Canton. I'll still be waiting for more substantial results.

What I wanted out of this hire, and what Marinelli may yet provide, is a long term answer to the Lions problems. I'd like to see the losing mentality around this franchise disappear. I'd like to see the Lions have a streak of four or five consecutive years in the playoffs. I'd like to see the Lions not only make the playoffs consistently, but advance deep into them. I'd like fans in other cities to think that for their team to win the Super Bowl, they've got to worry about beating Detroit. I want the Lions to win the Super Bowl not just host it.

Is Rod Marinelli the type of coach to guide the Lions to that kind of success? I honestly don't know. My heart hopes so, my mind has doubts. Thus, I'm left where I always am as a Lions fan--looking at the same philosophic half glass of water.

No comments: