Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Numbers Game

Since I last typed, a couple of numbers in the sports world caught my attention. The first is 81. By now, everyone that probably cares, and a large percentage of folks that don't, have heard that Kobe Bryant went nuts on the Toronto Raptors. Even though I'm late to the party, as I've been away from the PC for a couple of days, I wanted to toss in my two cents.

My blogging brethren have shared their thoughts on Bryant's prodigious output. Most aren't warming up to Bryant's performance. I think it's easy to pile on Kobe for one simple reason. He's made it easy. Kobe's been portrayed selfish. If we are to believe the rumors, he's the primary reason the Lakers' most recent dynasty crumbled. Bryant wanted to be king of Los Angeles and couldn't assume that position until the guy with the crown--Shaquille O'Neal--was out of town. As the owner likes Kobe, the Big Guy now works in Florida.

In addition, Bryant has always been perceived as an old school ball hog. His critics suggest Bryant takes far too many shots and passes far too little. A night when you drop 81 on somebody ain't going to make that perception go away.

His legal issues, which taint his PR stature, also fuel the critics fire and cloud the judgment of many. However, let's forget about everything that Kobe is or isn't for a minute. He scored 81 points in a NBA game. I'm sorry, but that still leaves me shaking my head.

It's three days later and I still find myself mumbling "81?!?! 81 points? 81 stinking points? Are you kidding me?" The critics point out the fact Bryant torched the hapless Raptors. They say it's only a regular season game. Well, that's all fine and good, but in the history of this league how many guys playing against crappy teams have canned 81 or more? Hint: It's a small list. Real small.

I've been watching the NBA since the mid-1970's and I've seen a number of big-time scorers apply their trade. Julius Erving, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Karl Malone, Dominique Wilkins, George Gervin, David Thompson, Rick Barry, Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Bernard King, Moses Malone, the list goes on and on, but not one has nailed 81 in a game. They all got to face some terrible competition at one point or another, but only Thompson's 73 came close to Bryant's Sunday night explosion.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think Bryant is everything people claim he is--selfish, a ball hog, intent on being the center of attention, a wondrous talent, perhaps, the finest player in the league. My perceptions aside, Bryant's 81 points are remarkable. The critics will still claim he took to many shots, didn't involve his teammates enough and was plain selfish. Probably so, but how many other selfish players in this league's history didn't pass to teammates and hoisted up tons of shots without coming remotely close to 81? That list is considerably longer than the list of guys with 81 or more points in a game.

Mammas Let Your Kids Grow Up To Be Golfers
$250,000. That's the second number that gave me pause while reading my Monday sports section. Any idea where that number came from? Kobe's per point salary? Nope. Amount each NFL player got for winning a conference title? Guess again. Amount of money I would need to watch Skating with the Stars? Sorry, incorrect. (Although, if you are offering, you know where to email me, right?)

No, the $250,000 was the amount of money won by Loren Roberts. Don't recognize Mr. Roberts' name? That's ok. That's what I'm here for. Loren Roberts is a professional golfer. A good one. He's won some on the PGA Tour and played in the Ryder Cup. Roberts is regarded as one of the better putters on tour in recent years. Why did his weekend earnings merit my attention? Because Roberts won it on the Seniors Tour.

The Senior Tour? Oops. Sorry, Mr. Finchem, Roberts won the initial foray in '06 on The Champions Tour. Whatever they call it, it's the golf tour exclusively for the over fifty crowd. Now, think about that amount, again. $250,000. Am I way off base or doesn't that seem like a darn large chunk of change for winning a senior golf event?

A career of hitting a little white ball all over lush green fields while following the warm weather wherever it goes and cashing checks is followed by a retirement of the same? Forget annuities and Roth IRA's, somebody hand me a driver.

There are two lessons here, I think. First, teach your children golf. It's a great game. Even if your wonderkid doesn't become Tiger Woods, you can make a great living and a spectacular retirement without winning ($250,000 was only good enough for fourth place on the regular tour event). Second, I need to head to the driving range. I'm nine years from my potential Champions Tour debut.

3 comments:

the sports dude said...

I am tired of talking about the 81, I truly am, but I have been labeled a "hater" because I took the stand for exactly what it is... good old fashioned ball hogging. But hey, that is what makes me a "hater" yo!

Brian said...

dude, at least your an honest hater.

Big Al said...

I went off on Kobe, but I'll admit that he's going to be fun as hell to watch the rest of the season. Well, there's that, watching Lamar Odom stew, and the Zen Master riding herd over the whole situation. I'm honestly looking forward to the Kobe's playing the Pistons Sunday.

Enjoy the site and thanks for the link!