Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy 2006!

For those of you still a bit too groggy to recall, allow me to remind you that it's a new year. Yes, 2006 has arrived. No, that noise wasn't entirely in your head last night--there were actual fireworks. While you were busy doing things I probably do not want to know about, I made a few minor changes around the blog.

I've edited the links section. I've added a number of new blogs that I encourage you to read. I've found some good tennis blogs, added two Pistons blogs and I'm looking to add some golf links, if you know of any. They do have to pass my test, however. Unfortunately, much like gauging a hall of fame candidate, I'm not sure I can tell you what I'm looking for, but I know it when I see it.

Also, I figured I should post something. That is what I do around here. Well, most of the time. In the spirit of the season, and borrowing an oh-so-familiar format, I'd like to offer some hopes for the new year. I'm pretty sure most of these are going to be sports related, but I'm kind of making this up as I go, so let's see who or what I mention. Pay close attention, your name may pop up.

To Matt Millen, the coach of a lifetime. The Lions head honcho needs a small miracle to keep his job beyond '06. It begins and ends with whomever he hands the keys of Mr. Ford's team over to. Here's hoping he finds the Lions' version of Noll, Walsh or Shula--a guy who utterly transforms the performance and image of the organization.

To the Detroit Lions next quarterback, two offensive linemen in the draft, one a first rounder, and maybe one more via free agency.

To Kevin Jones, Lions runningback, see previous wish.

To Detroit Lions fans, I hope for a playoff team next year. Yeah, it's a big jump, but this is a wish list.

To Brett Favre, Jerome Bettis and Deion Sanders, future Hall of Famers, a fulfilling retirement.

To Detroit Super Bowl Host Committee, forget the weather and the city, the out-of-town press will hate both, just have one of the best games ever played. That will leave enough impression for the millions of television viewers.

To the Detroit Pistons, a second championship in three years.

To Chauncey Billups, Piston point guard, the All-Star Game selection he covets and deserves. A top five MVP finish, too.

To BB reader and fellow blogger, Sridhar Raman, more visits here and the ability to watch the Pistons more.

To Amare Stoudamere, Phoenix Suns forward, a return to health.

To the Detroit Red Wings, a big time goalie at the trade deadline. Jimmy Howard may be the next great Wings netminder, but it doesn't look like that road will begin this year.

To Steve Yzerman, Wings legend, the ability to retire whenever he feels its appropriate. And a healthy, happy life away from the game when he does decide to leave.

To the city of Pittsburgh, a chance to keep the Penguins.

To the Ottawa Senators, the Finals appearance they've been aiming for.

To the NHL, better television ratings.

To Major League Baseball, an injury-free and fun World Cup.

To Rafael Palmeiro, a mirror.

To Manny Ramirez, Boston slugger, and Miguel Tejada, Baltimore masher, the trade both are looking for. Mostly, so we don't spend three more months wading through the rumors.

To the Detroit Tigers, a record above .500.

To Dave Dombrowski, the emergence of the Tigers young players as stars at all levels of the organization.

To David Chadd, Tigers' draft guru, another solid draft as the '05 version appears to be.

To Jeremy Bonderman, a twenty win season. (Ok, ok, nineteen wouldn't be bad, either.)

To Justin Verlander, the American League Rookie of the Year Award.

To Pudge Rodriguez, happiness. Last year was tough, I'll spot you that. However, it could be worse than making ten million playing baseball. Come on, Pudge. The town loves you. You love you. Just enjoy the game and hit the snot out of the ball, again.

To Magglio Ordonez, health. I'm going to be optimistic and assume you can still hit if you are well. Please, prove me right.

To the television cameramen covering the Tigers, helmetcam. Come on, you knew the obligatory shot at Kenny Rogers arrival was going to appear.

To Detroit Tigers fans, something to cheer about in '06 and give you realistic hope for '07.

To my fellow members of the Detroit Independent Baseball Scribes, DIBS, more hits at your sites and press credentials at Comerica Park.

To Bill, of Detroit Tigers Weblog fame, interviews with Jim Leyland and Mike Ilitch.

To Brian, of Tiger Blog.net, more book opportunities. One with just your name on the spine.

To Rob, Bleacher Guy blogger, an offer to take Bleacher Guy Radio to the local airwaves.

To Sam, of Roar of the Tigers and other blogs too numerous to name, a chance encounter with Brandon Inge in Ann Arbor, national recognition of your blogging, and a couple of more blogs to devote your spare time to.

To Ian, of Sweaty Men Endeavors and Fried Rice Thoughts, the healing only time can provide and a date with Ms. Johansson.

To Iain, of The Baseball Desert, perfect baseball weather in Boston in May. Two Sox wins, as well.

To Greg at Out of Bounds, success as a sportswriter. I'd suggest a newspaper gig, but you may be better off right where you are--on the 'net and at Motor City Sports Magazine. Oh, and a fresh supply of the Out Of Bounds T-shirt you owe me.

To my friends at Detroit Tigers Central, forgiveness of my absence. You are doing fine without me.

To the Leelanau Sports Guy, blogger at Sportspig.com, more snow or less, whichever you prefer.

To The Sports Dude over at Luke Walton's Forehead, perseverance at EMU and a Michigan win over Ohio State.

To Lee at Tiger Tales, a welcome addition to the Tigers' blogging community, more new numbers to crunch.

To Lloyd Carr, Michigan head football coach, here's hoping you make the right changes this off-season.

To John L. Smith, Michigan State head football coach, a bowl appearance. Something closer to January 1 would help.

To Greg Kampe, head basketball coach at Oakland University, a win over Valpo, a win over Oral Roberts, another post-season run and a solid recruiting class. (I'm not asking for much, am I?)

To Tom Izzo, basketball coach at MSU, another Final Four appearance.

To Tommy Amaker, hoops coach at Michigan, a good enough Big Ten campaign so your squad is not on the bubble on Selection Sunday.

To the Torino Olympic Organizing Committee, a safe and scandal free games.

To Ernie Els, golfer, a spectacular return from an injury filled '05.

To Tiger Woods, two major wins and some competition.

To Sergio Garcia, golfer, performances to match his talent and ego.

To the Buick Open, our local PGA Tour stop, an appearance from Mr. Woods.

To the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team, enough victories to advance to the second round of the World Cup.

To England, yes, the whole nation, a World Cup victory. If the Red Sox and White Sox can end the madness, why not England?

To the fans of Everton, English Premier side, a brooming out of the powers-that-be, an influx of cash and avoiding relegation.

To Reading, Championship level side, the promotion to the Premiership that gets closer each day.

To Nottingham Forest, Division I club, the beginning of a climb back up the English football ranks.

To the Indy Racing League and Champ Car, the much-needed merger. Enough already.

To all of you who stop by my little corner of interent space, either on a regular basis or only once in a while, my sincere desire that '06 brings you health and happiness.

2 comments:

Ian C. said...

An excellently comprehensive list of new year hopes, Brian. Great job.

Thank you for the kind wishes, my friend. Gestures like that have helped greatly over the past few months.

(And if Scarlett calls me for a date, what do I owe you? Wanna be part of the entourage?)

Sridhar Raman said...

Thanks Brian. :) Hoping your hopes happen. And yes, the Pistons will roll on through this year...and hoping that I can be part of their audience a few times.

Wish you a very Happy New Year. :)