Monday, January 02, 2006

Lions Off-Season News Begins

The Detroit Lions will pick ninth in the 2006 NFL Draft, if I have read this story from ESPN.com correctly. I have not wavered (since yesterday) that they need to select an offensive lineman. I hope there is one worthy of the ninth overall selection. Of course, if there isn't one available at nine, it's not like they can't use help elsewhere.

In light of today's wave of firings and the rumors that Oakland will can Norv Turner tomorrow, Matt Millen will be jockeying with about eight other NFL teams for a new head coach this off-season. Why does that not reassure me?

Anyone out there got an early favorite for the job? I kind of like Tim Lewis the defensive coordinator with the Giants, but it's early in the process and I'm quite confident that I'm unaware of at least half the candidates. I reserve the right to change my mind when I get a better idea of who is in the field.

1 comment:

Ian C. said...

I'll probably blog on this myself tomorrow, but I think I want a defensive guy as the Lions' next head coach. Lewis would be a good choice as a tough, disciplinarian sort, and he's young (44).

Like you, however, I'm trying to learn more about who's available.