Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Let The Interviews Begin

The search for the next Detroit Lions head coach has begun. ESPN.com is reporting that fired Saints coach Jim Haslett is headed to Detroit for an interview. Over at SI.com, Don Banks is guessing the Lions search may come down to Ron Rivera and Russ Grimm. Also, Sports Illustrated is reporting the Lions have contacted Mike Singletary and are looking to get permission to speak with Kansas City's Al Saunders.

I think it's safe to assume that Matt Millen will opt for someone who appears to be a disciplinarian. A notion I approve of. I would also prefer a defensive guy at this point. I'm in complete agreement with the aforementioned Mr. Banks of SI.com who stated:

The sagest head coaching hires of late have been the guys with defensive coordinator experience (of which Edwards has none).

There's Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, Lovie Smith in Chicago, Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville (playoff coaches all in 2005), John Fox in Carolina, Jim Mora in Atlanta, Mike Nolan in San Francisco, Romeo Crennel in Cleveland and Nick Saban in Miami. When you throw in former defensive coordinators like Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher, Bill Parcells and Marty Schottenheimer, much of the league is led by that particular coaching sub-set.


I believe, that like a short game in golf, having a solid defensive performance week in and week out at least gives you the opportunity to compete. The offense, much like your success with a driver, may vary from week to week, but being able to play above average defense keeps you in games. That's, in part, why I am leaning towards a defensive guy.

Here's where I make today's plea for Tim Lewis. I think the Giants defensive coordinator merits an interview at minimum. He's been to the playoffs. He's a young guy.

Here is what Jeff Gordon, Fox Sports and STLTODAY writer, not the NASCAR champ, said about Lewis in his breakdown of would-be NFL head coaches (read the whole article, by the way):

He interviewed for the Falcons job that went to Jim Mora. He just turned 44, so he fits the mold of an up-and-comer. Michael Strahan and Co. rave about his efforts to restore their defensive roar.

"Tim is experienced, he's experienced success, he's an
articulate leader and he's a great-looking guy," agent Bob LaMonte told the Newark Star-Ledger. What more does a man need to get ahead?


Let's discount his agent's comments, but I can't see why Lewis would be any less viable than the more well known, but less experienced Singletary. I'm not saying that Lewis is clearly the right guy for Detroit, but he deserves an interview to find out.

4 comments:

Ian C. said...

I don't get the interest in Haslett at all. To me, the guy's record says he's a less clownish Wayne Fontes.

Maybe you can blame the New Orleans ownership, and you can certainly point to the adversity Katrina wreaked on the franchise, but I'm not sure there's been any more inconsistent or disappointing team over the last five years than the Saints.

Those players just flat-out quit on Haslett in two or three of those seasons. And he'd be expected to turn the culture around in Detroit?

Anonymous said...

I'm OK with Haslett as a DC, but not as a HC. Singletary is the same way. Give me Saunders, or go to Denver and get Kubiak.

the sports dude said...

I know that I do not have any interest in seeing either Singletary or Saunders here, too much of the same. Singletary reminds me of Marty (rookie in over his head!) and Saunders reminds me of Mooch (a supposed offensive genius).

This Lewis character seems interesting, this is the first I have ever heard of the cat, but I am a big fan of Russ Grimm. I love the Steelers and I love Cowler, anyone from that family you know is going to kick some ass... and trust me, a lot of the divas in that locker room need more than a good kick in the ass.

Brian said...

sports dude, I believe Lewis was a coach under Cowher when the Steelers D was pretty impressive.

How about Lewis as the HC, Singletary as DC (which would be a promotion) and look for a good OC to round out the staff?