Sunday, November 21, 2004

Frick Award Nominees

Jim Caple of ESPN.com asks for support for Seattle's Dave Niehaus for the Ford Frick Award. The award is, basically, enshrinement into the Baseball Hall of Fame for broadcasters. Caple makes a strong pitch for Niehaus, a worthy candidate. I would encourage all of you to vote as well.

For the locals, a number of Tigers' broadcasters appear on the list of would-be nominees. Al Kaline, George Kell, Jim Northrup, Jim Price, Ty Tyson, Larry Osterman, Harry Heilmann and, yes, even Rick Rizzs made the list. However, one of my three votes went to Paul Carey.

Unfortunately, Carey will be remembered by many as Ernie Harwell's partner, not for his outstanding work. Carey's distinctive voice was as much a part of summer in Michigan, and much of the country thanks to WJR's 50,000 watts, as Harwell. I remember those post-game shows when Carey did the updates from around the leagues like it was yesterday.

I truly believe Carey was a Hall of Fame caliber talent behind the mike. It was a no-brainer to select him even though the list is littered with quality broadcasters.

For the record, my other two votes went to Tom Cheek and Tony Kubek. Cheek is Blue Jays baseball. Prior to this past season, Cheek broadcast every Jays game played. Every single one.

Kubek, for me, will always be one-half of the NBC Game of the Week coverage. Along with Joe Garagiola, Kubek was the voice of NBC baseball for a generation. What Harwell and Carey were to Tigers' radio, Garagiola and Kubek were to national television broadcasts.

Others on the ballot clearly merit the Frick Award. It's an enviable list. However, I wouldn't change my three selections. I encourage you to vote for your favorites.

No comments: