Sunday, November 14, 2004

See, I Told You So

Luke Winn of SI. com provides me with this on Oklahoma's Jason White:

Healthy White and hurt White were simultaneously on the satellite, reminding us at once why he's worthy of another Heisman -- and why his drop-off at the end of last season came not from the real White but his injured alter ego. I wrote last week that maybe he was "fooling us again" -- and that was the wrong word. But the disappointment in White last January was real; no voter wanted to see his Heisman choice, after a 40-touchdown regular season, go out like that.

What have I been saying for months? The Heisman voters felt betrayed by White's last two games of 2003, so they had no intention of voting for him this year. I have argued that many felt duped by White, precisely what Winn suggests, in spite of being the best player in the country last year. So much for giving the kid a fair shot at repeating.

In Winn's defense, he does come clean and puts White atop his Heisman ballot. Here's a look at the whole article. Winn also merits credit for giving J.J. Arrington and Alex Smith serious consideration. Both would be in my top six. I disagree with dropping Adrian Peterson has far as Winn has, but I can disagree and be respectful of his opinion. Wrong as he is.

Hey, what do I know anyway? I thought Braylon Edwards would be number two on my own list again this week. Here's my ballot for others to criticize.

1. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma. Everyone has had at least one poor week.
2. Jason White, Oklahoma. Some have suggested my last name is White. It isn't.
3. Alex Smith, Utah. He's finally gaining momentum nationally.
4. Cedric Benson, Texas. Steady performer.
5. J.J. Arrington, Cal. Has done as well as Benson.
6. Reggie Bush, USC. All-purpose dynamo.
7. Braylon Edwards, Michigan. Needed to build on MSU game. He didn't.
8. Matt Leinart, USC. Just not as dynamic as those above.
9. Aaron Rodgers, Cal. Maybe he deserves better.

No comments: