Sunday, November 14, 2004

Lions Diary

Well, it's time to start focusing on Draft Day. The Lions continue their steady descent into a high draft choice in 2005. Today's lackluster loss has me ready to face an unfortunate fact. Although I hope I am wrong, it appears Joey Harrington is never going to become the quarterback the Lions (and I) hoped for. I believe he is done in Detroit. It's just a matter of when the parting of ways occurs.

I know Harrington has spent much of his three years tossing the ball to guys who are no longer in pro football. I realize he has had to play this season without Charles Rogers and with Roy Williams operating at less than 100% for several weeks. Still, that doesn't explain throws that range from high and wide, to tosses way behind receivers, to balls bouncing before reaching their target. That's not poor receiving. That's terrible passing. It's year three and Joey is actually worse than he was his rookie season.

Some will argue for another season. Look what an extra year has done for Drew Brees. Point taken. However, Harrington was the third pick in the entire draft. You just can't hang around being ordinary forever. Honestly, the Lions could find someone else to be mediocre. They, and the fans, expect a star when you are drafted that high. I can no longer convince myself that day is just around the corner. Again, I hope Harrington proves me wrong and does have a Brees-like year in 2005, but I no longer believe.

Of course, being (more than) a bit of an Oklahoma football fan, I really wanted safety Roy Williams the year the Lions took Harrington. However, all the fans, media and scouts screamed that you can't take a safety with the third overall pick. That's just a waste. I thought Williams was a special DB, a sentiment I still believe, and felt the Lions needed help everywhere, so why not take the best player?

Not being as much of a football geek as when I was young, and also of the notion that great quarterback play can make your franchise a consistent power, I felt if the Lions' brass thought Harrington would be a Pro Bowl talent, I could be happy with Harrington over Williams. Every other football talking head seemed to agree, at least in not taking a safety third overall, so I deferred my own common sense. Bad idea.

Who, with half a brain in their head, wouldn't take Roy Williams over Joey Harrington right now? Anybody? So much for the geeks knowing what is best.

So the big question for the draft is: what do the Lions need more? A new quarterback or an offensive lineman? There are clearly other positions in need of assistance, but the only position more disgusting than Harrington's quarterback play is the O-line. This is an underachieving unit if there ever was one. Again, I'm no football snob, but everyone in town admits this group can't block. In particular, they don't run block worth a hoot.

This off-season the Lions must add two starting offensive lineman, minimum. I would draft one and sign a free agent to fill the other spot. Much like the Tigers improvement, I could care less how the job gets done, but Matt Millen had best find two capable offensive lineman before the start of the '05 campaign. The current group just can't get the job done. Period.

Onto a bright spot, kudos to the Lions best offensive player, Eddie Drummond. If Drummond wasn't returning punts and kicks, the Lions would never get good field position or score. He's one of the three Lions with Pro Bowl aspirations. Shaun Rogers and James Hall being the other two. Although, Hall needs to learn to stay onsides. J, don't move until after the ball is snapped. Please.

The Leos head to Minnesota to disappoint me next Sunday. Between now and then, I think I'll check to see how many teams will pick ahead of the Lions on Draft Day.

No comments: