Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Above The Fold

The older I get the more these type of stories make me pause. The Detroit Free Press runs this piece from John Lowe about the Detroit Tigers pursuit of Steve Finley and Troy Glaus. Why would such an obvious story make me pause? Well, because it's an obvious story.

Why on Earth would this be the lead in today's sports section when nearly everyone in Tigertown is already aware of this? About the only tidbit of new information provided is the fact the Tigers have apparently offered Finley a contract. (I admit that I didn't know Glaus had stopped in town for a visit, either, but maybe others did.) In fact, I would label this story "old news". It hardly seems like the type of stuff that appears above the fold in the sports section.

When I see such things, I begin to wonder if a signing is imminent. Somebody with the Tigers "leaks" the information to the local media just to give them a courtesy "heads up". In fact, I went on to check to see if The Detroit News followed suit and issued the same type of non-news story. However, The News skipped right over this compelling information. Alas, no news conference today.

I am left wondering if it was just a PR leak. Maybe the Tigers just wanted to let season ticket holders know they were still working at improving the team. Maybe it was just a slow day for sports news. Maybe Lowe was just providing the casual fans with background material. Maybe a press conference at Comerica Park is still forthcoming. Maybe I am just reading too much into this.

As for the potential signings themselves, rumor on the street is that Finley got offered a two year, eight million dollar a season deal. Eight million a year seems high for someone nearly forty, but he would be an upgrade in centerfield. I do know that the Tigers should not offer a penny more or a year more than what's is rumored to be on the table. I like Finley, but he isn't going to play like this forever. For two seasons, though, I'll embrace this move. (Like anyone cares that I embrace this move.)

The details of the Glaus deal still sound sketchy. I'm hearing four years, but I don't think anyone really knows. Dave Dombrowski sure isn't going to spill the beans, either. Again, for the right contract, adding Glaus would be a solid move.

I do know that, while I like Glaus, I think Beltre is a better option. Albeit a more expensive one. I know many others in Tigertown want Beltre, too. I just have trouble picturing him here. Again, nothing scientific. Nor do I have any inside information, as usual. I just cannot imagine Beltre picking Detroit. Although, I still have hope Beltre might be interested in Mike Ilitch's cash.

No comments: