Thursday, December 09, 2004

Heisman Countdown

The Heisman Trophy get handed out Saturday night and I'm guessing Matt Leinart is going to win. Here is the latest ESPN.com poll indicating the USC quarterback is indeed leading the pack. That big game versus Notre Dame has propelled the Trojans' signal caller to the top of many lists.

I know that I've been promoting Jason White to an unhealthy point, but that's because I felt he was being unjustly punished by the voters. Which, of course, he was. White deserves credit for another excellent year and for garnering some post-season hardware already. However, since my sarcastic post after Oklahoma's win over Texas, I thought Adrian Peterson merited the Heisman Trophy. I stand by that today. Peterson is the best player in the nation, freshman or not.

I was getting a bit concerned that I was the only one that thought so, but it appears a few others have seen the light. Links here and here. Thankfully, some of them are actually Heisman voters.

I think this vote may be the closest ever. With teammates Peterson and White, Leinart and Reggie Bush (who has won me over, as well) splitting votes. All had fine seasons, but Peterson was the best player this year.

No comments: