Monday, December 20, 2004

Tigers Hot Stove Recap

There was some news on the Detroit Tigers amongst all the wailing over the Lions. Here is a Free Press piece about missing out on Adrian Beltre. Rumor has it the Tigs offered up quite a bit to land Seattle's new thirdbaseman. Maybe even more than what he signed with the M's for.

Freep baseball guy, John Lowe, also offers up this on Derek Lowe.

On the radio today, I heard Kevin Millwood's name arise as a potential Tigers target. Sure, it's purely speculation, but I'm not thrilled. Like 99% of the free agent crop, especially pitchers, for the right contract, adding Millwood would be acceptable. However, the right contract for the Tigers and the right contract for Millwood (or Lowe) might be very different.

Here is where I make my daily pitch for Magglio Ordonez. I thought the ex-Chicago outfielder was supposed to work out for teams during the Winter Meetings, but I never heard how he fared or if the workout ever took place. One national baseball writer did mention Ordonez as a potential late signing by the Tigers on a local radio show this morning.

That probably carries all the weight my regular pleas for Ordonez do, but I would at least like to know just how bad Ordonez' knees are. If he can play, he can be an extremely dangerous bat. I'd love to see the Tigers offer Ordonez a deal similar to what Ivan Rodriguez got. An incentive laden, two year, big money deal to Ordonez would be perfect. He will need to play and play well to make the big money, but give the guy a chance to earn it. If he can't play, then make sure he doesn't financially crush you.

Lots of baseball geeks are expecting a trade or two. I'm all in favor of the concept, but can't even begin to imagine the parties coming Detroit's way.

Eric Munson wasn't offered a contract today. Alex Sanchez and Brandon Inge (two guys who may be trade bait) were both offered deals at today's deadline.

No comments: