Thursday, December 16, 2004

Hot Stove League Notes

The old Hot Stove League is really hot today. First, Adrian Beltre signs with Seattle. I know many in Tigertown wanted him here. Yes, I was penciled in on that list. I may be crazy, but his five year, $65 million deal doesn't seem all that bad. I was really expecting him to make much more. Sure, $13 million a year is still lottery money to most of us, but in light of the cash being tossed around, it's not too bad for a twenty-five year old coming off a 48 homer season.

Critics will say his career could crash and burn. True. But that's true for every player ever acquired. Given a choice between paying J.D. Drew $10 million a year or Beltre's $13 million, I'll take Beltre. I've always been a Drew fan, but his injuries, attitude issues and limited success in The Show make me uneasy.

Then there is the Tim Hudson deal. Atlanta always seems to find a way to compete, don't they? This has to be the deal of the off-season, so far. I've read where two of the prospects shipped to Oakland for Hudson are not predicted to be superstars and the third is a big-time talent. That's all fine and good, but the Braves got a Cy Young caliber pitcher right now. I'll take that end of the deal more often than not. (Note to Tiger fans: This indicates that the Tigers didn't have much on hand in the minors to offer Billy Beane. I can't imagine they wouldn't have chased Hudson, in light of their desire for Carl Pavano. Apparently, they didn't have three prospects interesting enough for Beane.)

There is breaking news that the Yankees may have finally gotten Randy Johnson in a three team deal. Here is a link.

As an update to my recent post about my concerns over Derek Lowe, Bill at detroittigersweblog.com posts this sharing my sentiments. Nearly every Tiger fan I talk to or hear on the radio screams about getting any and all pitchers available. A really good starter would be wonderful. Problem is, there just aren't any out there.

I'm just not jumping up and down about guys like Lowe, Matt Clement and Estaban Loaiza. All three are decent, but not worth $8 million or more a season. Making a long term financial commitment to any of them scares me. At the right price, however, if the Tigers signed all three, I would give it a thumbs up.

Free agency is lamented by many. It's increased salaries beyond comprehension and led to enormous amounts of player movement. On a positive note, this environment has also made the Hot Stove League hotter than ever.

No comments: