Friday, December 10, 2004

Breaking Rumor?

I can't quite call this breaking news, but Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News makes it sound like the Tigers may be closer to landing Carl Pavano than some might think. Yeah, it's wild speculation, but who needs facts? This is a blog for crying out loud.

Let's assume that the Tigers actually pull this off. What then? Can they still afford to pursue Adrian Beltre? Does that make someone like Corey Koskie more viable? Would they still consider another outfielder? J.D. Drew has been mildly rumored as a package with Beltre (both Scott Boras' clients). Magglio Ordonez would be high on my Christmas list, not that Dave Dombrowski cares.

I'm worried how much money a potential five year deal might be worth. With guys like Russ Ortiz getting big money from supposedly poor ballclubs, I'm concerned about Pavano's price tag. I don't want Pavano's addition to cripple the team financially for this year or the next five.

No comments: